Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold start problem 92 Loyale

Hi everyone my first problem with my Loyale. It wont start in the morning when it is really cold out (30 or below) but when it warms up outside it starts fine. Seems to be turning over okay. Also it is a stock 1.8 EFI engine 5 speed 4wd

Thanks for any help.

Well give it a real tuneup, but I bet it is the coolant temp sensor that is bad. This sensor tells the ECU to richen the fuel mix like an old choke used to do. The failure to richen the mix in either a FI car or carbed has the same result, no start in cold weather.

Excuse me for asking a question in your thread but it is related to your problem. Is there a Temp sensor and a Temp Sending unit on these motors? My loyale is idleing low recently and I'm wanting to change the sending unit as suggested to see if that helps. Advance Auto Parts lists a Temp Sensor for $20 but Auto Zone lists the Sensor for $170. why would there be such a huge differance?

the sending unit is for the gauge on the dash, the one o the thermostat with a spade terminal.

the temp sensor for the ecu has 2 wires and a green plug on the thermo housing.

i bought one for 95 bucks at napa, but the employee hooked me up and got it to me for his price at 45 bucks.

The reason it costs so much because it is an old stock part that probably has t move through several vendors to get through your outlet for that price.

Sorry I haven't replied but for the last couple of days I couldn't access the board and now it's different colors? oh well thanks for the advice. I changed the fuel filter (pretty clogged up) cleaned the MAF, ran some injector cleaner through her and the next cold morning it started problem solved right. Wrong, next morning no start. later on it started and a friend suggested the battery but it was turning over fine so I thought. It was an Interstate battery with 2 1/2 years left on warranty so I went to Interstate to have them test it and it turned out to be pretty weak so I replaced and it starts up just great and runs a heck of a lot better after doing those other things. If it happens again I will check that cooling sensor. Thanks all