Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am thinking about installing one of the high end oil catch cans for my 2.5. What do y'all think about em. I change my PCV faithfully every 6 months with OEM;but, it bothers me to see all this oil draining from the intake. If anyone has pointers on precisely where to connect the two fittings (shown on the can) this would help me immensely. Happy Holidays and thank you to all for your insight and help with this car! :cool:

Why exactly are you troubled by the oil? PCV systems are going to pick up some oil vapor. That's just the nature of how they work. They don't consume enough oil to really cause a problem or impact oil level between changes.

PCV valves almost never fail. Changing it every 6 months is really overkill. Spray some cleaner through it if you like but that's all you need to do.

Cleaning the hoses and passages - especially the main crankcase vent at the back, passenger side of the block - would be a good idea.

GD

I did clean most of the hoses out last time it was serviced. That is why I am thinking of going this route with it. The inside of the throttle body was coated as well. I am not concerned with oil consumption, because none is needed between changes; also, I swear I can smell it burning from time to time. No there are no leaks of any kind on the outside of the engine.

2 thoughts.

What year/engine. The occasional smell is probably the baffle plate.

Also the hose in the rear that comes out of the block (and there is a T in there somewhere too IIR) gets brittle and fills with crap. It's subjected to a lot of heat. You may want to remove it when the car is not needed immediately incase you break the hose or the T (I've broken both over the years).