Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newby got ?s on 98 Leg OB

Howdy!

Just bought a cherry '98 Legacy Outback. It's obviously been treated well and doesn't look its 177K miles. I believe it is pretty much stock. I don't have service records.

My questions: what should I look out for on this vehicle? Weak points? Concerns?

I'm not interested in souping it up but practical mods that aren't too spendy would be considered. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, oh wise ones! :D

Welcome.

Do some searching for head gasket failure here. Partly to help you understand if they have been replaced, partly to know what to look for when they go bad.

Also if you have an occasional burnt oil smell it's probably your baffle plate.

And service the trans occasionally to help prevent torque bind.

Everything you need to know is here. Search for old threads. Start a new one if you must when you have a problem.

And keep all 4 tires the same size!

Search for something like "leaking baffle plate" (also called oil seperator plate).

It' beside the rear main., Except it leaks and the rear main doesn't.

So to fix the occasional aroma of burnt oil usually requires removal of engine or trans. Sometimes you're lucky and it's valve cover gaskets.

Search for "torque bind" also. Basically it's like when you leave a 4 wheel drive truck in 4 wheel and try to turn sharp. It either pushes you forward increasing turn radius or tires churk, or other weird sounds are made. Some of this can be due to neglegence, some due to a solenoid failure.

i wouldn't worry too much about the baffle plate, oil separator plate. you have to pull the engine to fix it so until you have another reason to do that it would have to be a pretty big oil leak to justify an engine pull.

but any time you pull the engine, address it.

Exactly. The usual oil leak is just annoying. Not aconsumption or fire issue.

And another reason to pull the engine to do head gaskets or sometimes even the timing belt and fix that dang baffle plate drip.