Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 2.2 into 01 with a 2.5

ssheaven

I was told this will work so I m ready to go just wanted someone to tell me exactly what I have to swap... I have a 2001 legacy outback with a 2.5 that got ran w/o oil so it's making a horrible knocking noise.. I got a 2.2 from a 99 impeza to go into it.. I did alot of the older swaps but this is my first on the sohc and or phase 2... Thanks

I was told this will work so I m ready to go just wanted someone to tell me exactly what I have to swap... I have a 2001 legacy outback with a 2.5 that got ran w/o oil so it's making a horrible knocking noise.. I got a 2.2 from a 99 impeza to go into it.. I did alot of the older swaps but this is my first on the sohc and or phase 2... Thanks

I just did (this weekend) a bit of research with wiring colors and descriptions on the 1999 harness. It may be of help to you.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1071727#post1071727

Should swap right in, but you will need a different exhaust header. The 2.5 is dual port and the 2.2 is single port.

• 2 weeks later...

don't swap cams - just the cam sprockets. and crank sprocket too just to be sure. you *might* not have to, but it is simpler to just swap them. sometimes you don't have to swap those - i haven't nailed down when they are different - but the sprockets just have different trigger points on them but are otherwise the same so therefore interchangeable.

use the 2.5 cam and crank sprockets and intake manifold.

use the 2.2 exhaust manifold.

that's it.