Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 oil leak question for GD

GD, This a question ask by a friend of mine. What do you think? and thanks, Carl

Thought when I made the switch from a VW to a Subaru motor I would be done

with oil leaks but life wasn`t going to be that easy. Seems mine has a leak

between the head and the block on both sides. Not a lot but any is too much.

Seems there is a pocket in the head that allows oil to pool where the push rods

pass through the head. According to the Haynes manual, there are supposed to

be two bolts in the head below these pockets but my motor is not drilled for the

bolts although the bosses are in the castings. Anyway, over time, the oil leaks

past the head gasket and onto the floor. I have new head gaskets ordered

hoping they will cure the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem

and what did you do to cure it? I have never used a sealer on head gaskets but

am wondering if, in this case, it might be a good idea since the heads are

vertical and the oil has no place to drain except out, past the gasket, and

unfortunately onto the floor

No this is an engine that the director of the BTW is building a trike around. The one we talked of don't ride good, and I am completly re making it. I have modified a VW rear suspension and have the EA81 engine and trans mounted on it. I almost have it finished. Had to stop on it as I and friend of mine from TN re worked the trike that I ride, and it is close to being finished. Just need to re-wire it. It orignaly had a Bus suspension and I had brake problems and they don't make an after market disk brake set up for the bus, so we cut the bus suspension off and put a bug suspension on. It was quite a job and might have been easier to just build a new trike from scratch. But you know how it is when you have something you enjoy you want to hang on to it. I just hope it rides and drives as nice as it did before the modification. It rode like a fine car and cornered like a sports car.

When I came home from meeting you I stoped in Columbia Mo and my clutch master cyl went out. Couldn't shift. So I spent the night in Columbia and the next morning I got it started in gear, and shifted it like a big truck (no clutch) and played the lights and made it all the way back to Rolla (96mi) and in to my driveway. Put in a new master and slave and got it going again. It was good to meet you and a fun trip home. Later, Carl

maybe he should check for warp in the heads or case.

That would be standard practice durring a HG replacement. I don't even bother checking - I just resurface the heads with 220 grit wet/dry and a sheet of glass. Any warpage will show up instantly as low spots during the surfacing. Usually the heads will be cupped slightly.

The block I clean with a very fine synthetic abrasive disc in my die-grinder. VERY carefully. If the engine is being completely rebuilt I have the block resurfaced when I have my machinist do the ring hone. Though I've been considering doing those steps in my shop as well in the near future.

GD