Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many miles can it go?

Hello,

I just recently joined the forum, and I shared how I have a 92 Legacy L wagon with 232,000 miles on it. I mentioned that I was keepimg my eyes open for another Legacy wagon with closer to 100,000 miles on it(ej22 only) to buy and replace mine. A couple posts recommended just keep driving mine. I might be leaning this way, because I have really enjoyed the 127,000 miles I have put on it. I commute 70 miles a day plus drive it to jobsites. Yesterday 320 miles plus my 70 mile commute.

My car is running fairly strong, how many more miles can I expect? My original thinking was getting a low miles Legacy for about $3500 and selling mine for $1500, gains me another possible 125,000 miles for $2000. My mechanic says he can put in a low miles ej22 for $2500. I will also need to get new struts and also do the timing belt on mine in about 8,000 miles.

Please give me your thoughs - Todd

My thoughts.

keep driving it, and do the repairs as needed. Keep your eye on craigs liek a hawk, and only try to get one with less than 110k on it to replace yours with. Don't be in a hurry, when one comes up that is nice and low mileage, pull the trigger and get it before someone else does.

In the meantime, you can continue to drive yours as though you will keep it another year, or two. It may take than long for the right one to come up.

Change your t-belt when you want, you can drive it til it snaps, no harm done but you will get left stranded when it snaps.

+1

Drive it til it dies, keeping an eye on Craiglist.

As you said your options are to replace the car or replace the motor. Personally, Id replace the motor and replace the struts.

If your EJ22 is running strong, youll be surprised at how long it lasts, I believe Ive seen 3-4 posts about different Legacy's with 300-350k+ miles on them...

A timing belt job shouldnt run more than 3-400 and should include new idlers and water pump too. Add some really good struts for another few hundred plus labor (you could swap these over to a new car) and keep driving it.

But if you want to spend 3500 on a Legacy, youd find a REALLY nice one... the 1990-1994 Legacy's around here are under 2K with low miles, if they are higher, they are turbo, or the owners have some good smokes.

Youre in Oregon :brow:

Shoulda read that :horse:

GD is in West Linn and does timing belt jobs for I think $300 including the kit (he will correct me if Im wrong) and is very thorough with his work. Hes got a 300k+ mile story about a Legacy that hes worked on.

But Ive been on Craigslist everyday searching for soobs for friends... theres a nice 1996 5 speed outback with the EJ22 with 180k and a salvage title for 2K. If I had the 2K Id probably take it. Theres several first gen legacy's too, but I dont know anyone interested in those at the moment.

Thanks for the input! Many of you are helping me lean towards keeping mine for awhile and keeping an eye out on craigslist. So far three caught my attention enough to email the ads. Ones was a 94 Touring wagon with under 50,000 miles for $3500 and another was a 92 L wagon with 110,000 for $2600, and recently a 97 Outback with a blown head gasket(167,xxxmi) for $1000. They al sold , before I could grab them. The 97 seems to be re-listed by it's buyer now for $1500.

Is ther an advantage or disadvantage to going to the next gen(95 -99with ej22)? Also I state that my wife has a 98 outback 157,000 miles new head gasket a couple years ago.

Thanks a bunch for your opinions and information.

-Todd

Ya know, I would stay around the 1990-1994 Legacy's as they are non-interference and up until the 1996 EJ22 it stays that way (to my knowledge of what Ive gathered)

I REALLY was trying to get my friends to jump on the 180k 1996 Outback 5 speed because it was the only year that the Legacy had outback suspension, EJ22 and 5 speed all at once in the states... So its not all over the place, and its a great combonation of ability, reliabilty and cool factor (tons say its an old lady car, personally, dont think so)

I don't see the benefit of the low miles personally. My mom has a 1996 outback sport with 84K on it and the tranny is having some issues. Had it been driven more and had like 150K highway miles, it would probably be running better.

I would just keep your car (assuming its a normal rust free oregon car) and replace parts as needed. When the engine dies, put in a CCR Rebuilt one, when the tranny dies, rebuild it or replace it.

Over time you will need your struts, suspension bushings etc, but no reason to get rid of a car you know is decent for one with less miles that may or may not be in as good of shape.