Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 ej22t into 97 OBW -need some swap advice-

Nubaru

So i sold my 78 dl wagon to buy a 94 legacy sport with a bad tranny. Engine has 113k on it, and the guy that has it is meticulious about caring for it. He has started it once a month since it was taken off the road. An accident caused the tranny trouble and the engine sounds pristine. No smoke, no overheating, clean oil.. pristine! Anyway i go pick it up next week when my truck guy gets back.

The plan is 250-300 reliable HP in my 97 OBW 5mt. Off the bat i just plan on the straight swap. I have done my homework and am 99% set on the job. It will eventualy come back out to be resealed and upgraded, likely 20g heads and ecu or ej25 sohc heads and megasquirt. TD04 on the turbo.

I want to keep my obd2 wires as much in place as possible. I am going to ditch the ac and likely use the holes in the firewall and space for the evap unit for stuffing the wires through and storing them. Since the ej22t will be obd1 at the start i want to have a temporary place for wiring so i can easily switch back to obd2. Still tinkering with the idea of how to phisicaly run the wiring keeping both. Open to ideas.

On that note the actual wireing..

(ej25d ecu removed, wireing left in place)

11 wires to be connected between the harnesses.

1- Self shutoff (2v diode connected to 12V constant)

2- radiator fan (2 wires on obd2, single on obd1) connect all 3 or?

3- fuel pump relay (same relay, it will work)

4- Tach (mechanic friends tell me they are compatible)

5- starter

6- power supply x2

7- coolant temp sensor (same sensor)

8- neutral or park switch (not sure )

9- ignition switch

10- backup power supply

All other sensors and wires will be kept on obd1 harness and swaped, or just removed. Stuff from obd2 are useless on the obd1, fuel tank pressure ect..).

maybe someone knows this..

Will the downpipe from the 22t connect right to the cat on the obw? I have looked at diagrams of both exhausts at work, but hard to tell. Curious if i'll have to take it to the exhaust shop.

I have decided to just notch the crossmember, save some work.

The fuel system matches.

The throttle cables match.

The obw has a new radiator in it and i am certain can keep the 22t cool.

Same flywheel, starter, no other wierdness i know of..

So, this is my plan for the swap seems easy as pie. I appreciate any advice , usmb has always been the best source for info.

HI,

Actually, and NO OFFENSE to the USMB, you'll get more info on turbo swaps @ RS25.com (the '98 Impreza RS has the same EJ25D as your OB) and on Legacy Central BBs. I've also seen a couple of turbo'd OB's on the http://www.subaruoutback.org/ site.

FWIW, I swapped an EJ22T in my '98 Forester - also the same stock EJ25D engine as your OB. If you're bored read my THREAD HERE on the subaruforester.org site.

I reused the DOHC heads from the Forester, which meant I could use the same intake manifold and wiring harness and it was plug-n-play w/the stock OBD2 wiring. I then put in a Greddy Emanage piggy-back to run bigger injectors and manage the boost, but couldn't get it tuned (tried 2 different tuners!).

The biggest drawback to the '95-99 USDM Subarus is the lack of ECU support. There was nothing for my '98 Forester. That's why I had to try the piggy-back w/the stock OBD2 system.

I also did a swap on a '90 Legacy non-turbo that I swapped w/a EJ22T and did an AT>>5-speed swap. Having the complete donor car helped a lot. On the OBD1 Legacys I only had to swap cam/crank sensors, add 6 wires for the stock turbo sensors and plug in the turbo ECU...too bad it's not that easy going between the OBD2 and OBD1! :-)

My .02:

If you're going back to OBD1, I'd suggest the Rob Tuned EJ20G

The TD04 won't make 250-300 @ the wheels (WHP) - from my experience - even w/the EJ20 heads and a megasquirt. You'll likely need a VF39 or bigger turbo to get there. But 200 WHP should be attainable.

Although I've done the above swaps I've not done the OBD1<>OBD2 wiring. I do know the ECUs use different plugs/connectors so you'll have a fair amount of splicing and what have you if you plan on running the EJ22T ECU and putting in its 4 plug ECU connectors. But most of the sensors and such on the intake manifold for the IAC, injectors, CTS, etc are the same. The TPS is different. The engine harness connectors come out the back on the OB; by the battery on the '89-94 Legacy.

The Legacy TBE should work on your OB as is... may be a little short. I don't 'think' the DP will connect as is to the OB exhaust, but didn't go that route on my swaps.

I also ran the NA radiator on my Legacy turbo swap and it never overheated- even @ Auto-X in summer heat.

GL and have fun! You'll have the turbo-mod-bug soon enough!

Td

Edited by wtdash

Well the same ol story here.. big dreams small wallet.

The reasoning behind keeping the obd1 is to proffit from the old engine. then to buy the basics with that money. Exhaust, tmic, tune up, belts, general engine health what nots. So, i plan to go back to obd2 in the future, just dont have the cash to buy into it that far yet. I want to generaly keep it in shape for that time. Just want to run it till then.

Thank you taking the time to give me a "what to expect" and a point down the path. I'm sure when it's in the yard, questions will be answered and raised.

Edit- 5 min into reading about your forester and wow!

Edited by Nubaru