Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OBD II to usb cable and PC software

I got a USB to OBD poort cable from DX (deal extreme) for about 10 dollars. This cable so called VAG-com cable supports the KKL (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-kkl-vag-com-409-1-compatible-interface-for-vw-audi-seat-skoda-120cm-length-37635)

Therefor works with Free SSM (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/freessm/) and I got it working with romraider for datalogging.

This on my EU 1999 impreza with a 1.6. US models are better supported.

ecuEDIT is non-free software which works as well.

Basically I can:

read and remove storred error codes (freeSSM)

view real-time ECU values (freeSSM and romraider)

log ECU values to a file (romraider)

Hi,

What are you wanting to do? Just data log, reset CELs, or Reflash/change data in the ECU? The ROMRAIDER site will give you some info on that. It uses the $$ Tactrix cable...although the 'Vag com' cable might work...not sure on that.

I also used the VAG-Com cable on my 2004 Forester XT w/the Free SSM software.

And I tried the ELM327 OBD-II OBD2 USB cable on my '98 Forester, but it was flaky....meaning it would connect but wouldn't stay connected. There were multiple software programs that would work w/the cable, but not well on my '98...so I returned it.

GL,

Td

post-6577-136027652629_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

I'm using a (Chinese, eBay) ELM327 bluetooth adapter along with Torque (paid version) on my Android phone. It works fine, although the refresh rate is too slow for fine diagnostic purposes (i.e. checking the response of the O2 sensors). My understanding is that the VAG-COM cable offers more parameters and better refresh rate. on your car it probably allows to communicate with the TCU. I'm interested in hearing opinions as well.

I got a Bluetooth do-hickey for my iPhone called Blue-driver for $40. Seems to work pretty well for just reading codes, but I haven't paid the extra $$ for the full version yet to use the real-time features.

It will record live data, display freeze frames, DTCs, pretty much anything a decent scanner will show, stores the info and then lets you email it to yourself so it can be reviewed more thoroughly on a computer. You can see all of the info on the phone, it's just not easy to see multiple parameters at the same time.