Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 EA82 Loyale passenger Axle Removal help....

Any industrial bearing supply house. It's a 6000 series ball bearing. Probably a 6202 or 6203 - you can likely find it under an "alternator bearing" listing at NAPA. Bearing house would be higher quality and cheaper.

GD

GD-

the bearing im looking for...its a "Ball Bearing?" not a "Roller Bearing"

(Torrington/Timkin?) I think Rollers are generally tappered, correct? I am hoping to find a bearing that is all ready fitted into the pulley. There is a place in my area called "Eastern Technical Automation" ..it is formally known as "Eastern Bearing & Seal"

However, there aren't open on Saturdays...figures.:(

Any way..as far as the CV-Axle is concerned , NAPA is going to "Warranty" the Bad Axle, because it is Faulty right out of the box. I started with a cheapo Remaned Axle($39.99) The are upgrading me to a "New" Axle (their more exspensive/higher quality line they tell me.)

Why do you need one fitted in the pulley? You drive it out with a punch, and drive in a new one with a socket. You have access to a bench vise and a socket right?

It's a ball bearing (not a roller bearing) - though it doesn't really matter what it is - knock out the old one and take it to a bearing supplier - they can match the numbers on it. What city do you live in?

GD

Why do you need one fitted in the pulley? You drive it out with a punch, and drive in a new one with a socket. You have access to a bench vise and a socket right?

It's a ball bearing (not a roller bearing) - though it doesn't really matter what it is - knock out the old one and take it to a bearing supplier - they can match the numbers on it. What city do you live in?

GD

Just thought you should know.... I removed the A/C belt tensioner from the vehicle, then I disassembled the the pulley from the tensioner; at that point i was able to make out the numbers on the bearing. [6202v] I think it was an NSK bearing. Anyhow, I called a local company that I know by the name of "Eastern Bearing & Seal" - It took me a couple of tries to locate them because the have changed their name to "Eastern Industrial Automation, Inc." They were able to quite easily supply me with the proper bearing [ ********* 6202.223v]. I took it to work removed the snap ring from the old pulley, press out the old bearing, press in the new one with out incident. In fact, before pressed in the new bearing I cleaned up all the parts of the tensioner immaculately and primed & painted them with a can of Rustoleum flat black I had kicking around. everyone thought I was nuts; "why didn't you just buy a new tensioner?" or "why bother" . I tell you this, I don't feel "right" unless I do a job the best I possibly can. Thats just how I am built I suppose. My father always said, "Do your best" & "Look your best" those words ring in my ears to this day. he is a great man...but anyways....I am proud of my finished product. It came out looking better than new. And the bearing cost me $10.88 plus tax. A long way from the $147.00 plus shipping the Subaru dealership was asking! And I tell ya,After the saw the finished product, the same guys who were razzing me bout the tensioner are asking me for advice on their projects! ;)

Right on! *Real* machine repair is what you just did. Anyone can hang parts and that's what the automotive industry has been leaning toward for the last couple decades. Easier to find monkeys to do it and easier to train them when there is nothing more complex than bolts and hose clamps. That's why most manufacturers have gone to sealed bearing/hub assembies for the wheel bearings - you just remove a few bolts and put in the new pre-loaded assembly. Dealerships don't rebuild engines or transmissions anymore - they just order new "assemblies" and swap them out. It takes the variables out of the equation and means they can hire unskilled workers for lower wages.

You know that at one time people actually rebuilt things like water pumps?

The world of industrial machinery where I come from this is still the SOP. You can't get away from it in that setting since there is not the volume to warrant that type of a system.

GD

When I worked at a garage was the first time I saw a sealed unit wheel bearing deal.

I was like WTF is this?! But it was nice being able to change out a wheel bearing it 20 minutes...

Take off the wheel, caliper braket, 3 bolts, axle nut. Beat it with a hammer and the whole thing comes off.

I wouldn't want to be the one paying $180 for a new bearing assy. though!