Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback hitch won't fit. Ideas?

Hi,

We have a 98 Legacy Outback and I got a hitch for it that came off of a 97 Outback that was supposed to fit, but doesn't. There is some box in the way on the passenger side. The book says it's a filter to pull fumes out of the fuel tank. It's sitting right where one of the hitch mounts goes. Can I move it? It's a rectangular box, about the size of a Kleenex box. Can it go somewhere else and not muck up the whole system? Thanks. cnc

That is the charcoal cannister. You may have to temporarily remove it in order to install your hitch, then reinstall the cannister.

I've removed a hitch from a 98 and believe this will work. The canister was in the way for removal which means it was probably (re) installed after the hitch was installed.

Can't remember more than that.

Yo,

I confirmed that the rectangular canister is indeed, smack in the way. I can certainly remove it, but it is still in the way. It will have to be bypassed or moved somewhere. The hitch is from a 98 Forester. The part that is being blocked is the passenger side forward support that wants to snug up to the frame, but the canister is in the way. I'll see if etrailer has any input. If anyone here has ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

cnc

The harcoal can does drop down. there are 2 or 3 10mm bolts, and the thing will just drp down and hang by its hoses.

The hitch should bolt up to the tow loop in some fashion.

I had to do these working at u-haul. I can't recall a difference between the 97 and earlier. I mainly installed them on later models, so no oldies to compare to.

Yes, it uses the tow loops at the rear and forward-going bars snug up to the frame. I honestly don't remember what model it came off of, but the guy I got it from, Scott in Bellingham, said it would work on our 98 Legacy Outback. Looks like I'll need to make up some brackettry to hold the canister off to the side somehow. Otherwise, looks like things line up. Hope so.