Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Wiper problem 2003 Outback

Whenever I shut off front wipers they stop in the middle of the window (Or whatever position they are in when I switch it to off) instead of retracting. Also when I use the mist button it stops in random spots each time instead of retracting. Is this the wiper motor needing replacement or is something else going on?

Whenever I shut off front wipers they stop in the middle of the window (Or whatever position they are in when I switch it to off) instead of retracting. Also when I use the mist button it stops in random spots each time instead of retracting. Is this the wiper motor needing replacement or is something else going on?

The nut that secures the wiper arm is probably loose.

Google found THIS.

The motor has a 'parking switch' that returns the wiper. I would guess that's 'bad' based on the link.

I'd grab one from the wrecking yard/pull-n-save. I don't hear/read of them failing often.

This LINK states it's an easy repair.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

If anyone is interested in how this (usually) works-

The motor gets +12V all the time, and runs whenever the other side of the motor is grounded. The park mechanism is usually a disk/brush assembly under the output shaft that grounds the motor except when it is in the 'park' position.

Intermittent wipers usually just give a short grounding to the on/off switch wire and relies on the park switch to carry the wipers through an entire wipe.

The park switch could also be a more traditional switch that gets pressed/released by a cam on the output shaft.

Sometimes the grounding for the park switch is a separate wire that comes out of the motor and gets bolted under one of the mounting bolts. If this wire gets broken or the mounting bolt loosens, corrodes, etc. the motor is fine and you just need to fix the connection to ground.

Dave

If anyone is interested in how this (usually) works-

The motor gets +12V all the time, and runs whenever the other side of the motor is grounded. The park mechanism is usually a disk/brush assembly under the output shaft that grounds the motor except when it is in the 'park' position.

Intermittent wipers usually just give a short grounding to the on/off switch wire and relies on the park switch to carry the wipers through an entire wipe.

The park switch could also be a more traditional switch that gets pressed/released by a cam on the output shaft.

Sometimes the grounding for the park switch is a separate wire that comes out of the motor and gets bolted under one of the mounting bolts. If this wire gets broken or the mounting bolt loosens, corrodes, etc. the motor is fine and you just need to fix the connection to ground.

Dave

Gotcha, Do you know if this is the way it's setup in a 03 Outback LL Bean with original motor? I guess I will just remove plastic cover find out.