Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Separator plate replaced, still leaks

Separator plate replaced, still leaks:banghead: I changed the main seal and the small o-ring seal, I used ultra grey on the plate, lightly snug, wait hour then tighten a little more. on the main, I had a block of aluminum i used to square the seal flush with the block. oiled the inside lip. i'm thinking it's the main, should I use a additive to try to stop the leak? I have removed the engine for HG's/timingbelt, last time I removed for the seporator plate fix, on re assembly I stacked the pump, I found a junkyard match and it seems to be working fine, the car runs great, but i'm still getting that smell with the defrost on at a stop light, I hate it, I'm thinking of even making my own exsaust to move the "y" back so it's not right below the drip, dumb design. the leak is way better though, in 3000 miles I don't need to add any oil, whereas before, I had to add 1 qt every 1200 miles.

Edited by weldersd

From what I've seen others mention, the original rear main doesn't usually leak, but often does leak after it is replaced.

Correct - but doesn't help him now...

And when you redo it I'd get it from and actual dealer.

The depth is important and now you don't know what that should be.

On the rare occasion I've had to replace one I use a PVC coupler.

Are you sure you've waited long enough for all the old crap to burn off the exhaust?

If you didn't have to add any oil in 3000 miles it sounds like it can't be leaking too badly. Maybe some aluminum foil or flashing would help keep it off the exhaust at least.

Correct - but doesn't help him now...

I follow the Microsoft model for support: offer correct, but useless, information. :-p

If you didn't have to add any oil in 3000 miles it sounds like it can't be leaking too badly. Maybe some aluminum foil or flashing would help keep it off the exhaust at least.

I follow the Microsoft model for support: offer correct, but useless, information. :-p

I thought the MS model was "buy the next crap - we swear it's better!"

And folks fall for it every time!

I thought the MS model was "buy the next crap - we swear it's better!"

And folks fall for it every time!

Same thing, isn't it? Buying the upgraded product will probably fix the problem, therefor correct information. But useless because you don't want to upgrade yet.

Oh, the RMS is a pain in the butt to replace. Friend and I replaced the one on his engine, and I don't think we got it in far enough. It still hemorrhages oil out...

Thanks guys, I already wrapped the "y" with thin gauge aluminum, it helped a little, I also recently replaced my knock sensor and front o2, to try to improve mpgs, seems to be running smoother, we'll see how it goes, I mean come on is 250 miles too much to ask for?? I gotta do the alignment too, when I swapped trannys I must have not got the camber alignment quite right, it now pulls alittle, I love everything about the car all but the smell at a stop light, we had a brat back in the day, it leaked and smoked too, guess it's just a subie thing.