Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T turbo rebuild

Im starting find alot of oil in the intercooler and even some spitting from the BPV. It's causing lots of missfiring and other problems.

By my calculation i believe its coming from the turbo.

Im posting this to get some info on rebuilding the stock turbo.

My other option is to make a hybrid using another IHI VJ-11 turbo from a Mazda 626. mostly the same except for up pipe flange.

Or a newer TD04

Whats my best option here?

Google and ebay will probably be your best friend, unless you can find a NOS turbo, or a really nice one that someone has squirrled away. The VF-11 is getting old and rare, which is the primary reason NOT to rebuild the VF-3 (or 2 or 4) that your car has right now. TD04 is another option, and there are TONS of those that WRX guys are ditching right now, that would be my suggestion, although it is quite a bit larger than the original one and may make the car very laggy...

Im starting find alot of oil in the intercooler and even some spitting from the BPV. It's causing lots of missfiring and other problems.

By my calculation i believe its coming from the turbo.

Im posting this to get some info on rebuilding the stock turbo.

My other option is to make a hybrid using another IHI VJ-11 turbo from a Mazda 626. mostly the same except for up pipe flange.

Or a newer TD04

Whats my best option here?

If your VF core is solid, (no cracks at all in the wastegate) rebuild kits are about $60.00 U.S. Of course the labor would add to that. I saw a VF recently on eBay advertised excellent condition, NO SHAFT PLAY. $125.00.

A board member here has two up for sale. Whatever you decide, I'd insure I had no cracks and NO play in the wheels.

Otherwise, it's a rebuilder.

Doug