Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Weber installation woes

Hello!

This is my first post, but at some point soon I'll introduce myself and my Brat.

To make a long story short I bought a 78 Brat from a shop a little pre-maturely, especially since I'm very new to working on cars. They had just re-built the heads, but it hadn't really been tuned or anything. I'm trying to get it through emissions and it miserably failed, so I am replacing the coil, distributor, and carburetor. I haven't rummaged around enough to find the distributor from an EA-81 but in the meantime I was going to slap on a Weber kit I got for it.

I have been trying to find pictures of a 32/36 DGV setup on an EA-71 because I am having trouble clearing the distributor. At best the distributor cap is mashed down by the little valve/nipple thing that sticks out to the passenger side of the choke(with the choke facing the front of the car) and there's a nasty gap under the carb; so basically not going to work:confused:. I have looked around and tried to find anyone else having issues with this, but have not found anybody mention it. I tried flipping the carb around, but then the linkage is all f'd up and the gas line is right above the distributor and that doesn't seem right.

Do I maybe have some different manifold that rides a little lower? Is the electronic distributor on the EA-81 about the same size as the one on there now? Maybe it's smaller and most people swap that before the carb... I guess I am just confused that I hear these weber kits just snap on, but it's certainly not the case under my hood.:-\

My buddy does metal fab and he said he could easily make a riser for it, which is the route I am planning to go, but I figured maybe someone could enlighten me. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

DATsub

Alright, alright pictures tomorrow! I need to post some of my black Rustoleum bedliner/gloss red paint job anyway! I've been a bit busy as well as without a running car, but I finally got a shop manual for 72-81 Soobs and now it's time to get serious. My buddy fabbed a carb riser for me and we'll be slapping that weber on in the afternoon.:headbang: It should go on just perfect, but I still have no idea why it isn't fitting in the first place. Based on that other EA71 setup my distributor is strangely closer to the carb. I can't explain :confused:. Once we get that running well, I plan on rummaging the yard for an 83+ disty and maybe getting an MSD 6A. I figure all the spark I can get in there will help lower my hydrocarbs from 2900. As far as I've read it couldn't be a bad thing. Also I impulse-bought some cheap rack lights :clap: I've also arranged to get some marine speakers tomorrow. I plan on mounting them in the back, either in boxes on the cage or in the bed next to the cabin. Either way I need to get some music to my passengers/victims. Next step after this is to paint the flying tiger shark behind the front wheels. I know Ratsun rocks it on their banner and to be honest its what got me jonesing for it on the brat, but it hasn't hit the cliche level yet has it? I've never seen it on a Soob ;)

Alright, finally got some pictures on here!

IMG_0259.jpg

Don't worry that flying tiger shark is just chalked on. I thought it was such an easy design I could chalk it on and tape it out and spray it... then I realized that I am not a very good artist and it looks retarded. I will print out and make a stencil at some point. Oh an if anybody's wondering, the black is rustoleum bedliner paint :headbang:

IMG_0260.jpg

So, as you can see I got the weber on... sort of. My buddy fabbed a 3/8" riser and it's STILL having clearance issues over the distributor to the point that the spark wire is sparking onto that little nipple that's touching it! I guess I am going to have to raise it more and get some longer bolts?

IMG_0262.jpg

An extra 3/8" and it's still not fitting! :mad:

Also, check out my throttle linkage.

IMG_0263.jpg

Why is the arm mounted straight out, yet the throttle is supposed to pull down? I'm starting to feel like I'm missing some parts :mad: Well, either way I got it started up fine, just need to tweak it into running well and mess with the linkage a bit. Also, didn't mount the arm to the choke because I can't find a good place. Just have it zip tied in a the moment(like my bed seats :clap:)

IMG_0264.jpg

Anybody know where I can get a tailgate?

Also for any of you non-subie fans I included the reason I got my Brat: my rear-ended(but still beautiful!) Datsun 510.

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Can you believe they gave me $5300 for that damage?! :cool: Bumper isn't even dented!

DatSub

Edited by DatSub

Hmmm... What sort of adapter do you have to mount the carb to the manifold? From the photos is looks far too short... Hence the clearance issues.

In terms of the throttle linkage, you should be using the original Subaru parts rather than the generic parts you have in your pics. You use both the Subaru throttle cable mount and the lever. Check the photo posted by oleman77 above and compare to yours.

What every you do, don't over tighten the throttle shaft nut on the Weber! Makes for a very sticky throttle...

Edited by Leeroy

Changed out the linkage, that's all fixed now, thank you for the heads up - rookie mistake on my part.

As far as the adapter plate, I did some measuring and mine is about 5/8" thick. Is this too short? With the plate my buddy fabbed, it is running a whole inch above the manifold. Is the original weber adapter really over an inch thick? Well, either way he is going to slap a 5/8" thick plate together and we're going to swap out the 3/8" and be running 1 1/4" above the manifold. I am hoping the hood will close!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will keep you guys posted!

DatSub