Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Push button start and killswitch

I did a little bit of reading on the site and I want to take my ignition apart and re-route the wires to switches on the dash for my RX rally project car. Right now it starts just fine, but turning the key off does not shut the engine off. Could I pretty easily put a switch off the existing wires to kill the engine?

I want to do a setup to have one switch to turn on the ACC power and another momentary switch for the push button start in the future along with the killswitch to shut the engine off. I'm just not sure which wires are what and if it would be a good idea to use the ones off the factory switch.

I'd rather spend $9 on some switches than buy a new ignition switch. This car is offroad only and will only be used for RallyX. As of now the switch doesn't shut the car off and I don't want to have to stall it all the time, so I want a switch to shut it down and figured I would do the momentary switch for the starter. Same thing the key does, just with 25amp toggle switches and 25amp momentary.

I work for a company that manufactures electronics, I'm more than capable of soldering some wires and putting some switches in place. All I asked were what wires on the ignition switch were which, but thanks for giving the standard "don't" answer. I think I figured out which wires were which anyways. I'll report back when it works. :)

Edited by Unsp0kn

If you work with electronics then figureing out the wires should be no trouble at all. All you need is a meter or a diagram. It's a whole 5 wires you are dealing with.

You will need a DPST switch - they sell key switches for this purpose - and obviously a push-button. You should use relays to control the actual current switching so the pushbutton doesn't take the full starter current and the toggle switch can be much smaller and nicer looking.

It's still a stupid idea though. $5 will get you a used ignition switch from the junk yard. They rarely fail..... you also haven't determined if the switch is even the problem. Thus your toggle switch may not even function to turn it off.

GD

It's too easy to jump right off the bat and say no don't do it.

However it's too difficult to jump right off the bat and say go for it;

If you are comfortable with wiring, and have confidence in yourself and your ability, go for it.

As for the things you are asking, do yourself a quick favor and go to ebay and get yourself one of the chilton's or Haynes manuals for the car. If you want, I have a FSM I could email you. PM me if you'd like.

I do recommend getting the service manuals though as they're a-lot more reader friendly and they do have thorough wiring diagrams.

At any rate, however, good luck with it!

Well I got it figured out, 1 toggle switch for accessory power, 1 run and a momentary toggle switch for the ignition, so it basically does what the oem ignition switche used to do, just 3 separate toggles. All wired up and now I can finally shut the car off with the switches instead of stalling it.

It might be stupid to you, but I don't need a key for this car, it's a rallyX car only, not going to be street driven at all plus it accomplished what I wanted.