Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0325 Knock Sensor Malfunction

I have had the P0325 code on my Subie for some time. It's a 1997 Outback Legacy 2.5L. Anyway, this weekend I did some reading and read that relocating the sensor can stop this problem. I relocated it to the position they mentioned, I still have the problem. Do I need to buy a new sensor or is there anyway to just bypass the knock sensory entirely?

I have had the P0325 code on my Subie for some time. It's a 1997 Outback Legacy 2.5L. Anyway, this weekend I did some reading and read that relocating the sensor can stop this problem. I relocated it to the position they mentioned, I still have the problem. Do I need to buy a new sensor or is there anyway to just bypass the knock sensory entirely?

Not only does the ECM retard your timing when it senses an actual knock , but if the ECM does not see the regular "noise"(normal engine operation) from the sensor, it will pull your timing to the max value. So you can't just remove it or even move it to another spot. Moving it may either give you no knock protection( because it won't pick knock up) or the ECM may pull timing because it doesn't the hear normal background noise.

Edited by Robert Harik