Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Help needed finding ground wire locations

1981 Subaru GL Wagon

Charging light/gauge is registering under 12v after blinking/pegging out while driving on the interstate. battery, voltage regulator, alternator, negative cable from battery to block replaced within the last year.

I haven't located the ground that's located under the dash or on the firewall

yet and that's what i'm wanting to check. along with the alternator and battery, but i can't recall where the 2nd ground wire is located (GD has mentioned it in a past post but i've not found it yet..i'm tethered to my iphone and my connection is terrible!).

any help would be appreciated; i'm 5 hrs from home..:)

thanks!

gadberry

There is a small ground from the spare tire shelf to the trans.

Besides that, I think all other grounds from the motor to chassis are built into the harness.

Because of this, I have installed a large ground straight from the alt. bracket to the strut tower.

Main dash ground is underneath the fusebox on my 84.I removed the trim panel and 2 fusebox srews for access.

Test it by putting your voltmeter between the stud and battery negative w/the lights and blower motor on.Should be next to no voltage.I found up to 0.5V drop and plan to add a direct ground connection for relief.

FWIW,I also measured up to 0.6V drop across the ignition switch contacts under heavy load.Darn.Anyone got a new tilt wheel ignition switch?

Didn't make it home last night.. With charging indicated to be just under

12v, I started my drive home with friends following me. 2 hrs into the

drive the battery voltage began to drop like a led zeppelin, so I was close

to a friends house and made it there but without any lights for the last 5

miles of the trip!! (urban driving after dark without lights... not recommended but I was lucky...:eek:).

Good news is the that the car is safe but it's still 3hrs away.

2 interesting symptoms though:

1. After I switched OFF the ignition my Charge light indicator came "ON" within the dash.. so that's weird. and..

2. There was an audible 'clicking' coming from a relay-like box with vacuum hose attachements that's mounted on the drivers side strut tower; on the

firewall side of the strut tower. It was clicking continuously with the ignition switched off, so I disconnected the battery. The vacuum lines appeared to run towards the carburetor but I didn't have time to investigate last night.. had to get home.

I did manage to drive it until I arrived at my friends place, but the battery was drained.. no dash lights, wipers or anything.. So I'm hoping it's a premature failure of the Alternator or possibly a bad connection at the 2 plug connector of this 're-manufactured, south american sourced stock alternator"...

Any other ideas? thanks in advance!!

I'll keep ya posted

gadberry

Check resistance of the 4 wires between the alternator and the regulator.

Check for AC votage at the alternator w/high electrical load at mid rpms.

If those are OK,replace the regulator.Try for solid state.

• 5 months later...

1981 Subaru GL wagon 4wd.

Update: replaced the alternator (back in march) then drove it home 3hrs on the interstate without any problems meaning the charge voltage was ok all the way but it might have spiked once or twice briefly while I was driving it some this summer. Car has sat most of the summer with an occasional spin around town but.... As of today....

My charge light is not going off after startup anymore and the voltmeter shows its charging at 14v. The brake lights and a few other dash indicators on the right side of the dash are also illuminated constantly. And my radio blanked out momentarily while I was letting it idle and watching the dash lights..

So would a faulty ground (under the fuse box) cause my charge and other dash lights to remain lit? It prolly explains the stereo blinking out for a second but it was "professionally installed" (bestbuy ;)..

I've switched out my newer regulator for the original because i thought that was the problem (fixed it for a day) no luck though and then I suspected it was a loose 2 connection plug on the back of the alternator (my second "new" alternator) but I don't think that's it's but I'm not certain. Darn alternator was pretty warm after 5min of idle in 76 degree weather though. That Normal?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.. This '81 charging system has got me down. :). I've been in this loop of charge voltage acting crazy and I've thrown a new regulator, battery , and two alternators at it already. Plus a new ground wire from battery to block! Geez. Gld the alts are only $25 with a core.

Best regards

Edited by gadberry

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE to the update : 1981 GL wagon 4wd 1.8L. Non-A/C

I installed another reman'd Alternator (9/3/12) and all is right with the soobie charging again. I can't believe the last alternator only lasted 3-4months and < 400 miles!! Are they that prone to failure, OR did I over tighten the mounting bolt and warp the case enough to cause this early failure? I noticed a little flex on the alternator case as I loosed the swing bolt.... I've heard the old tale about having an alternator belt "too tight" but I just thought it was "just a tale" (bs).

Sheesh, guess I'll "roll" with a spare alternator in the car this fall... Glad they're only $30! Or I could hunt for the maxima alternator upgrade and upgrade some wiring...

I thought this info might help someone else so my apologies for the ramble.

Cheers, gadberry

1981 Subaru GL wagon 4wd.

Update: replaced the alternator (back in march) then drove it home 3hrs on the interstate without any problems meaning the charge voltage was ok all the way but it might have spiked once or twice briefly while I was driving it some this summer. Car has sat most of the summer with an occasional spin around town but.... As of today....

My charge light is not going off after startup anymore and the voltmeter shows its charging at 14v. The brake lights and a few other dash indicators on the right side of the dash are also illuminated constantly. And my radio blanked out momentarily while I was letting it idle and watching the dash lights..

So would a faulty ground (under the fuse box) cause my charge and other dash lights to remain lit? It prolly explains the stereo blinking out for a second but it was "professionally installed" (bestbuy ;)..

I've switched out my newer regulator for the original because i thought that was the problem (fixed it for a day) no luck though and then I suspected it was a loose 2 connection plug on the back of the alternator (my second "new" alternator) but I don't think that's it's but I'm not certain. Darn alternator was pretty warm after 5min of idle in 76 degree weather though. That Normal?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.. This '81 charging system has got me down. :). I've been in this loop of charge voltage acting crazy and I've thrown a new regulator, battery , and two alternators at it already. Plus a new ground wire from battery to block! Geez. Gld the alts are only $25 with a core.

Best regards

Edited by gadberry