Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since I got my '98 Brighton six months ago, I've been finding more and more reasons to be suspicious of it. For instance, just now, the transmission synchros seem ornery. I've fixed a bit of rust and I'm mostly trying to make it last, and I'm keeping my eye out for certain parts that might come in handy if the car decides to have a grand mal on me.

There's a guy who's advertizing some parts from a pair of '97s, both 2.2 auto. There's a 200k mile engine for $100, and it seems like if I were to have an engine problem, this might be a handy thing to have on hand, but it's for an automatic tranny.

So my question is, how much work would be involved in mating this thing to my 5 speed?

completely interchangeable. only a couple things to note:

if you want the check engine light to stay off you need to make sure they both have EGR or both *don't* have EGR.

if you don't have emissions testing and dont' care about a check engine light though it doesn't matter either way - installs and runs fine, i've done it (and am still driving one for the past 60,000 miles that way).

Subaru changed the bell housing bolt pattern from 4 bolts to 8 in 1998. BUT you can still interchange them just fine since the 4 bolt pattern lines up with 4 of the 8 in the newer style set up. just something to be aware of - it's a difference, but it doesn't matter.

other than that 97's and 98's are easily interchangeable. if you don't overheat or run low on oil an EJ18 and EJ22 are unlikely ever to need replaced honestly but for $100 it's cheap at least if you want it even just for parts. i'd put the $100 into a good timing belt kit with pulleys/tensioner and new hoses, seals for the engine - then you got another 60,000 reliable miles.

EJ22's and EJ18's make 300,000 miles almost without blinking if you keep them from overheating or running low on oil.

02 has a phase 2 motor, more of a pain to make it work but it is doable.

I'd get one from the 97. The EGR is not a big deal. If your car does NOT have it, it doesn't matter if the "new" engine has it or not. Just use your old wire harness (easy swap) when you swap the engine.

But, you would probably be better suited to spend the money on regular maintenance like Gary said. The 2.2 is nearly bullet proof (in a theoretical bearing killing bullet sort of way) :-p and it really takes some abuse and neglect to have one kick the bucket. Put a timing belt set on it, new oil seals and reseal the oil pump and you should get another 60k out of the engine easy for only $150 or so.

Slow synchros aren't going to leave you stranded anywhere. Learn to shift a little slower and it will be a non-issue.

Well, I've failed to get any of these parts for shelf spares, but I have had some work done on the car. I had the transmission gear oil changed at the dealer and the right stuff put in, and the clutch adjusted. The tech says he thinks it has the wrong clutch cable, but he did a fine job getting the release point up off the floor. And the synchros are working just fine now. The transmission is still 210k miles old, not exactly silk, but not bad at all. Despite the seller saying that it's going to need a clutch, there's no sign that that job in immanent.

Now I just need to keep the rust chased, sort out the interior trim a little, adjust the headlights (rusted adjustors) and get a better stereo and I'll be all set. I'm feeling much better about the car than I was a week ago.