Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine stalls when applying brake at stop light

Hello,

I have 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback with automatic transmission. After first 4 miles the car is ok and the gear is in "D" but when I stepped on the brake at stop light then the engine RPM goes to below 200 RPM then stalls; start the car again then the car runs very slowly even pushed hard on gas pedal. But if instead stepped on brake pedal I shifted to "3" then "2" on automatic then engine not cut off at stop light. Check Engine light with code 1507 (IAC problem) so I changed new genuine IAC with new gasket, cleaned MAF, speed sensor, throttle body, new battery, plugs, air filter but still have problem. Please help

how does the transmission fluid color look, bright red, red, burgandy, brown-red, brown, or black? sounds like a sticking torque converter lockup solenoid.

Does it ever jerk hard when downshifting and decelerating for the stop it would die at?

i am having similar problems with my 95 legacy auto..... when i run realllly low on tranny fluid the torque converter seems like it sticks and doesnt go back into its "neutral like state" while in drive after hitting the brakes..... id bet its a bad torque converter....... it feels like im driving a 5 speed and instead of pushing in the clutch before coming to a stop i just hit the brakes and it sputters and dies. i know the tranny fluid is the culprit in my case cuz i leak about 2 quarts a day lol.

i would seriously consider the torque converter is at fault