Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump inspection & removal...?

I finally have some time to work on my rig today. The number one thing to do is check my fuel pump. I got the three bolts off and disconnected it all. Now how exactly do I inspect the Pump to see if its ok or not??

Mine is a little caked in mud...

Thanks In Advance

The easiest way to tell is to pull the air boot off the intake and see if the injector is squirting gas. It looks like a hose, there is no mistaking if the injector is firing. If you are alone, roll up a piece of newspaper and stick it down into the throttle body. Crank for a few seconds, and check to see if the paper is wet/smells like gas.

And keep in mind that even if it ISN'T firing, that doesn't mean the pump is bad (though it may be). A bad coolant temp sensor (the one at the thermostat, not the radiator one), a broken timing belt (which you said it wasn't), and a bad crank angle sensor (in the distributor) will all keep the injector from firing and/or the pump from turning on.

If you can see or pull the ECU from where it sits under the steering column, set the key to 'on' and note the code/codes it blinks at you, if any. Six short codes is all clear. If you unplug the battery for a few seconds it will clear the codes, then try to start the car again and see what pops up.

Just pull the supply hose (the one that goes through the fuel filter under the hood) and stick it in a bottle. It should squirt out a little bit of fuel when you put the key in RUN. And it should also run continuously when the engine cranks.

Next thing I'd check is if you're getting power at the pump.