Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fix For Valve Cover Plug Seals?

I changed the plugs on my '09 Outback yesterday. First let me say what a pleasure that was in comparison to the old '97 DOHC! It took 55 minutes from breaking out the tools to having everything put away. I removed the air box, but nothing else. No cursing, no broken knuckles. Nice!

Anyway, I noticed that two of the seals around spark plug hole are weeping. Nothing down in the plug hole yet, but it won't be long. #4 looks pretty wet. That was a little disappointing at only 40 K, but oh we'll.

My question is, is there any point in my retorquing the valve covers to see if that would stop these leaks, or do I just need to get gaskets and seals and pull them off?

If retorquing is an option, anyone know the proper torque for valve cover bolts?

Hmmm, just realized, I'm still on the Subaru 60K drivetrain warranty. I wonder if they would do this for me?

Thanks.

those seals are problematic, ask Subaru to replace or just do them yourself now if they won't, kits are available like he said for the whole job.

Thanks Gary. I called one dealer that I work with quite a bit, got a person that I have never talked to before. She immediately said those seals are not covered. I called another dealer, they are looking into it. Otherwise, it doesn't look too bad to do, I just shouldn't have to already - seems to me anyway.

So the one dealer had told me instantly that the seals are not covered under the 60 drivetrain warranty. I called another dealer, they researched and said they are. I called the original one back, they are the ones I usually take it too and asked if they would check again. Basically they came back and said "the service manager is going to say the seals are covered since the gaskets are."

So my impression is that they either can't find the information, or don't want to do the job. Bottom line, I think I will set up an appointment and get them changed for free. Both are a long way from home, and the one I usually use has loaners, the other doesn't.

Seems like it would be an hours work, so wait for the car and kick the service manager in the shins as you leave.

They are telling me four hours. Can't possibly take that long, not even for me in my gravel driveway, but things always seem to take a long time at the dealership. We just turn it into a day in "The Big City," and run around town in one of their shiny new 2012 legacys.:D