Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove the ignition cylider?

Found the ignition cylinder from my car in the cubby under the glove box. It looks to be damaged and I'm not sure if it works or not. Would like to take the cylinder to a locksmith and have a key cut so I would at least have one for the doors, if not the ignition itself.

Can someone describe to me how to remove the cylinder without having a key? Here is a pic of what I have.

IMG_20120331_212454.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the damage on the case, not sure if this affects the operation of the column lock at all:

IMG_20120331_212515.jpg

I've got an entire steering column with a good ignition switch with key if you need one. Looks like you do. ;) I could remove the housing piece from the column to make life easier. You'd get the switch in the housing , ready to bolt in and plug in. Switch had rust on the cover but those are easily removed for a steel wool rub , or even find replacement I've seen on eBay. The switch turns well and is not sloppy.

Its one of the items I have at the front of my storage , ready to ship quick. Contact me if interested. :drunk:

Yes it is possible to remove the lock cylinder, however, I have never done it personally. When I needed it done it was by a locksmith and he never showed me how (secret locksmith's business?).

Perhaps some Datsun owners (search Datsun forums?) can provide this information? The keys and the lock cylinder are the same.

I will check the parts catalog but I do not think it shows the cylinder as a separate piece from the rest of the lock assembly.

I know in the office furniture and such they use a "core" key which when inserted pushes the tab in that locks it in place. Just a thought.

Other brain boil was a tiny pin somewhere??

I can recall dismantling a Stage 1 ignition switch wanting the same as you but I occasionally still come across that switch in pieces , so I never bothered but must have held hope for a core exchange too.

Locksmith here you come ?

Locksmith here you come ?

Sounds like it.

The cylinder in my El Camino is pretty easy to remove if you have the key, just stick a paper clip in a small hole in the front and the cylinder will turn past start and the whole thing pulls out. Was hoping it was similar.

I've decided that I don't particularly about having an ignition key, but would like a copy for the doors.

Got it all sorted out, here's how it went:

I ended up pulling my passenger side door lock to get the key code and had the locksmith cut a key for $20. I then tried this key on my ignition cylinder after thoroughly cleaning it with WD-40 and then carb cleaner to get the metal shavings out. Key didn't work, but I'm thinking this makes sense because the collar has breakaway safety bolts that weren't broken off yet. So it is probably a replacement.

The locksmith also told me how to remove the lock cylinder from the collar: There is a small pin in the side of the case that holds the cylinder in place (circled in red in the photo below). Drill a small hole, e.g. 1/16", next to the pin and use a pick to pry it up till you can grab it with pliers and pull it out. The cylinder will slide right out, no key required.

IMG_20120331_212454.jpg

I then took the ign cylinder back to the locksmith and had him re key it to match my door locks for $24. So I now have a key for my car that matches the doors, trunk hatch, and ignition! Oddly doesn't work on the glovebox, but there is a code sticker inside the box if I ever want that one cut.

Only thing I haven't sorted out is the spring that engages the column lock. I'm going to rummage thru the hardware bins at Ace until I figure something out for that.

I've got an entire steering column with a good ignition switch with key if you need one. Looks like you do. ;) I could remove the housing piece from the column to make life easier. You'd get the switch in the housing , ready to bolt in and plug in. Switch had rust on the cover but those are easily removed for a steel wool rub , or even find replacement I've seen on eBay. The switch turns well and is not sloppy.

Its one of the items I have at the front of my storage , ready to ship quick. Contact me if interested. :drunk:

how much for the ignition without the column. i need it real bad, pretty sick of starting my wagon with a screwdriver

I'll try to get my parts manual but I think it shows that as a unit and not exploded since you can't buy pieces .... I think. Wish I had the manual here. :o

Otherwise I may have the answer on that spring with the steering column I have. I need to sleep now but will check later.