Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simplifying the EA82 Hitachi hose nightmare

Well i got rid of the emission crap, the hoses and did the direct secondary. I am also having a hell of a time getting this carb tuned back up to where it will stay running. If I hold and then feather the choke valve it will run for a while at pretty high rpms then dies. Does anyone know of a "ground zero" to where I can start from? Maybe I should start with putting the secondary back to vacuum actuated? Any help is greatly appreciated so I can get my only car back going!

there are 2 screws, one is the idle on the linkage and the other is the mixture which is on the bottom front.  the mixture from the factory is hidden behind a roll pin, make sure you can get to it.

turn in the mixture till it bottoms out (lightly), then start 2 full turns out.  go from there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well for the update! I was having trouble with the bowl float in the craptachi after rebuilding it And doing the mechanical secondary conversion, I couldn't resist and I ended up doing the weber swap!!!! The weber is amazing on my ea82! And so easy with loyale 2.7's write up. Thanks for that!

The car is running great I ended up doin the weber swap, new plugs and wires, new distributor cap and rotor, deleting the EGR and all the vacuum lines, oil and filter change. I highly recommend the weber!

Thanks everybody for the info!

• Like 1