Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The neutral position switch is on the tail housing of the trans, the furthest one back. If you remove it you can see the notch in the shift selector shaft. I forget if the switch is open or closed in neutral but it doesn't matter which way it gets wired, as long as one wire goes to the ECU and the other goes to ground.

Got it. i found another post on rs25.com about the wiring. Seems i have to:

Ground to 81

NSS to 82 and ground its other wire to the trans case

Loop the shift selector wires so key can come out

RS to square i hibitor connector terminals 9 and 10

Clutch switch to inhibitor terminals 11 and 12

Unplug TCU

Cruise seems simple too. Just wire clutch switch differently. Wiring shows at and mt being the same exept for the clutch cancel switch replacing the inhibitor 11 and 12. That should fix cruise too.

NSS to 82 and ground its other wire to the trans case

Not the NSS, the NPS. The ECU does not use the Nuetral Safety Switch, which is for starting only. Also those pin numbers are wrong for the 95 ECU. I already posted the correct ones from the 95 FSM.

p1101 is baaaaccckkkkk! grrrr

Well we just can't have that type of behavior now can we. :-p

Double check your connection on the ECU, and make sure the ground for the switch is somewhere on the transmission case, or that it goes to the main harness ground point on the intake manifold.

Not the NSS, the NPS. The ECU does not use the Nuetral Safety Switch, which is for starting only. Also those pin numbers are wrong for the 95 ECU. I already posted the correct ones from the 95 FSM.

Got it. 50 to ground for identifier. 78 to NPS. Gets confusing going between years, seems they changed up their wiring alot between models even between the outbacks and regular models.

Well we just can't have that type of behavior now can we. :-p

Double check your connection on the ECU, and make sure the ground for the switch is somewhere on the transmission case, or that it goes to the main harness ground point on the intake manifold.

doubled check everything... reconnected the ground to the ground point as you stated and still got the P1101... now when i spliced it to the pin 82 should i cut the wire and have that going into 82 or dont cut the wire?

You can check things with your volt meter. When there is no ground open switch you should see 5 volts coming out of the ecu. When you have a ground, switch closed, the voltage drops to 0.

So if you have identified the correct wire coming out of the ecu, then you can run it out to the NPS and to ground.

When I did this, I found a wire from the TCU harness that was not being used that went to the engine bay and tied to the NPS through the connectors.