Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy airstrut change out...

fortunately you have like a zillion EJ struts that will fit your car for like a decade+. of course there's some that won't work, but you've got lots of options.

by a set of legacy struts and swap away. anything like 1990-1999. impreza, forester, outbacks, GT's, etc, all swap in. probably best to match something of a similar style/weight -i'd probably get a low mileage set from a legacy GT- they handle well.

the air struts can have some redeeming qualities, but it takes some work to get them there. if you go through the entire system and replace ALL the orings, that takes care of the leaking and the system can actually be cheap and last the life of the vehicle without ever needing to replace the struts like conventional struts. so they can even be inexpensive, all XT6's have air suspension and i have extensive experience with those, with a resealed (all new orings) system, they actually work well and ride great.

That's how they are supposed to work, same as on my gl10. They air Down every time you shut off the car, and then raise back up as you turn it on.
they're not supposed to air down every time you shut the car off. a properly working air suspension that's all sealed up, the compressor very rarely turns on.

unless the GL's and legacy's are different than 4 and 6 cylinder XT's - but i highly doubt they are different. other vehicles i've seen don't operate that way either, it doesn't really make much sense.

there might be a thread here but i have one posted on subaruxt.com about reconditioning the struts, wayne is a member here and there that pointed some of us to the process and issue - and your set up would be very similar.

it's basically a simple two step process:

1. replace all the orings. there's quite a few - maybe 20 and while most are 1 size for the hoses, there are a few larger ones for other parts - pressure sensor, solenoids, etc. maybe 3-5 of those. 20 year old orings are a large part of the problem. they leak...the compressor runs more than it's designed for and burns up.

2. fully extend the struts and get the rust of the metal bottom of the strut where the rubber "rolls over" on itself so to speak. any corrossion there constantly rubs on the rubber bladder and eventually wears through the strut. sand that metal down and paint it and that will keep the struts lasting.

aside from those two things these systems will actually last a really long time with few problems, i generally consider them lasteing the life of the vehicle which is nice as you'll never have to replace struts (hopefully). of course - at this point you're inheriting a decade of possible abuse and neglect so depends how bad all the parts all, etc.

i've owned like 20+ of those and have had 1 (or 3) as a daily driver since 1993, so i know them quite well.

here are some files about Subaru air ride systems with pictures:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5688

here's the strut reconditioning, there's a version on here too and this process was first done by Wayne who's a member at subaruxt and here:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4173

i don't know of an extensive write up or anything about dealing with the orings, you just have to get in there, match up the orings and replace them all. i've never really sized them, just match up and get what i need. the one really common size for all the air line fittings i have a bunch of at home - good chance they might be the same as legacys so i could post the size, but then again there's a small chance they're different too?

on an XT/XT6 it's like this, or really close, from the top of my head:

all of these are the same size:

2 orings at front strut solenoid air lines

5 orings at the drier air lines

2 orings for rear strut solenoid air lines

1 oring for the air tank air line

these are all different sizes (a bit larger):

2 oring on front struts

1 oring between drier and compressor

1 oring on pressure valve of air tank

1 oring on pressure sensor in air tank

2 orings between rear strut solenoids and strut body

legacy rear struts are significantly different than older style and i haven't seen many of those so i'm not sure how those are set up, but it's not going to be all that different - it's just orings.

the height sensor on the rear has an oring but as far as i can tell it's assembled with the strut and the oring is not replaceable. luckily i've never really seen them leak, but some dabs of sealant would possibly sure up a problematic oring there.

Gary thnx again.....your generosity in volunteering help is awesome....it appears that the 92 Legacy front and rears are the same....also....the fronts are the only problem...the rear shocks never have gone down, so I was looking for a leak up front...weird

here is how the xt6 system works:

you could try replacing first just the orings up front. should be one on the strut itself where the air line fitting threads in then two at each front solenoid.

the drier has 5 airlines in it - one for each strut and one for the air tank. the base of each air line fitting is plastic and can crack, if those crack then the drier needs replaced (get a good used one). used are not hard to find and cheap - folks swap and there's no demand...as long as you can find them, they aren't very common. when one of those fittings cracks the leaks can do strange things.

the solenoids can leak too - the springs in them can get weak, not fully closing when they are supposed to be closed and allowing air to bleed back through the system.

and of course the struts can leak - usually at the bottom where rust has warn through the rubber over time.

i'm not trying to sway you - swapping to coil overs is honestly the best fit for most people and great solution.