Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Differential Lock for barts

nilson

i this days i am building my 79 station wagon 4x4 from scartch after restoring the body, the body gonna get 2" lift kit from bill olman

i a have been wonderd and herd about Differential Lock

only rumors or the there is such a thing ?

4x4, 2" lift kit, 13" rims with massive Agricultural tires

and if she would have Differential Lock she would be unstoppable

and still be a proper car to high way drive with

Welcome to the USMB:D

First thing you should know about the board here is a lot of guys hate answering the same question a million times, so it helps everybody to use the search function anytime you have a question and also check the sticky threads at the top of each forum that would possibly have an answer. Sometimes the search in the forum is buggy, so I usually use google. If, after searching, you can't find an answer post a thread and see if someone can help.

Short answer is: no locker is available for the stock rear diff. There are a handful in Australia that were a very limited run, but the chance of getting one is very remote. If you swap in a R180, you can run an ARB airlocker, or you can weld up the rear diff...thats what I did

Josh

The differential lock that most Subaru owners think of is on the FT4wd cars from the late 80's. It locks the center differential to make it more like a true 4wd.

Your car should be pretty unstoppable as is-that recipe is pretty solid.

• 1 month later...
Short answer is: no locker is available for the stock rear diff. There are a handful in Australia that were a very limited run, but the chance of getting one is very remote.

Very remote is a good case, basically you just CAN'T get them anymore!

If you swap in a R180, you can run an ARB airlocker, or you can weld up the rear diff...thats what I did

Last time I heard, ARB were no longer producing the R180 air locker. I could be wrong though; also this is the Australian side of the ARB mob.

The differential lock that most Subaru owners think of is on the FT4wd cars from the late 80's. It locks the center differential to make it more like a true 4wd.

Your car should be pretty unstoppable as is-that recipe is pretty solid.

It's funny how many go nuts about the centre diff lock - the stock EA 5spd gearbox has exactly the same thing for offroading, just that it doesn't have the centre diff for the AWD onroad handling. Your 4 spd box will do the same thing once you've selected 4wd ;) I hope this makes sense.

Well actually, I'm making an air locker for the r160 diffs. just getting one cut out now for testing in my rig. Should have them on the market in a couple months (hopefully)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132280&highlight=Locker

I thought this was an auto locker - where it locks once one wheel has lost traction yet allows a wheel to unlock when cornering (until you give it to it and spin the inside wheel).

An air locker is a manual locker where the user decides when to lock it. The air part is simply the mechanism that locks the diff, via an air actuated piston of some description. You can also set them up as a vacuum or cable operated locker too - it all depends on how the locker was designed.

Cheers

Bennie

I thought this was an auto locker - where it locks once one wheel has lost traction yet allows a wheel to unlock when cornering (until you give it to it and spin the inside wheel).

An air locker is a manual locker where the user decides when to lock it. The air part is simply the mechanism that locks the diff, via an air actuated piston of some description. You can also set them up as a vacuum or cable operated locker too - it all depends on how the locker was designed.

Cheers

Bennie

My bad it is an Auto locker haha