Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, new to the forum here. I have to say that I typically run home and join a forum related to the vehicle that I have just purchased. I DID not do that with my Subaru (2008 Legacy 2.5) it has been reliable so far! But I do have a question. I did some seraching and I couldn't find an answer or maybe I was searching wrong ....

Ocassionally when slowing down and going into a turn then pressing the accelerator (not hard, just normal driving), the engine will race before the transmission engages. I found a delayed engagement thread but that's discussing something different. It is generally a mere 1/2 second before the tranny engages but it is not something I'm used to with the other vehicles I have had. At first thought it may have been the tranmission just working through the gears trying to select the right one but I figured I better ask. Can anyone tell me if this is or is not normal for these vehicles? I have 1800 miles left on the powertrain warranty so I need to decide if I'm going to take it in.

Thanks!!!

Certainly not normal in my (limited) experience with newer Subarus.

Transmission fluid level could be low. Check it warm in park with the engine running.

It should be a nice bright clear red. If its dark/murky and smells bad ( worse than normal) it needs to be changed.

Having warranty left, it needs to go to the dealer anyway and have the issue documented. They can do a diagnosis, check for tsbs, and record that there is a complaint if nothing else. Then if it takes a turn for the worse 3k miles after the warranty is up, it is much more likely to be repaired/replaced under warranty.

How's the weather in H- town? :D

Ha! I wondered why you were wondering how the weather was here as IF you knew where this little place actually was. Then I saw ole c'ville there ... home of the only Melting Pot for miles! Lol ... its 42 degress right now ... cold enough for me. Yuck.

I don't really have to ask, every time I go to Harrisonburg it's either cold or windy! And this time of year it probably smells like chicken poo, so hopefully you're upwind! :lol:

Is your power train warranty the factory warranty? I just kind of assumed it was. I'll also ask what's the current mileage on the car?

Certainly not normal in my (limited) experience with newer Subarus.

Transmission fluid level could be low. Check it warm in park with the engine running.

It should be a nice bright clear red. If its dark/murky and smells bad ( worse than normal) it needs to be changed.

Having warranty left, it needs to go to the dealer anyway and have the issue documented. They can do a diagnosis, check for tsbs, and record that there is a complaint if nothing else. Then if it takes a turn for the worse 3k miles after the warranty is up, it is much more likely to be repaired/replaced under warranty.

How's the weather in H- town? :D

just lurking in the post but, talk about smell, I did a drain/fill on our 03 OBW with 4 qts (it only held about 3.5) of Subaru ATF-HP. That stuff really stinks right out of the bottle. pew!

Hello, new to the forum here. I have to say that I typically run home and join a forum related to the vehicle that I have just purchased. I DID not do that with my Subaru (2008 Legacy 2.5) it has been reliable so far! But I do have a question. I did some seraching and I couldn't find an answer or maybe I was searching wrong ....

Ocassionally when slowing down and going into a turn then pressing the accelerator (not hard, just normal driving), the engine will race before the transmission engages. I found a delayed engagement thread but that's discussing something different. It is generally a mere 1/2 second before the tranny engages but it is not something I'm used to with the other vehicles I have had. At first thought it may have been the tranmission just working through the gears trying to select the right one but I figured I better ask. Can anyone tell me if this is or is not normal for these vehicles? I have 1800 miles left on the powertrain warranty so I need to decide if I'm going to take it in.

Thanks!!!

That forward engagement thread is basically the same problem. My leggy is doing the same thing. When the transmission disengages to "coast" in the corners and tries to re-engage when it needs to there is a lag. It does after I stop and try to go again. It will rev up to about 2k and then slam into gear. Transx helped ALOT, and so did a drain and fill (x3). I've got a replacement trans sitting in storage waiting for me to have some time to swap it out. That's the only true fix I have read about.

If you don't want to take it to the dealer, just do a drain and fill, 3 times. But since it sounds like you have a warranty, I would take it into Subaru. There is something wrong with your trans. Any tech worth his salt will be able to tell that it is not acting normal.

If you do get it fixed, please try to find out what they replaced or what the issue is and post back here. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what part is broken on my trans, so if SOA can figure out the issue, I would really like to know since I have a very similar problem! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well I have FINALLY gotten around to getting it to the shop ... or at least scheduling it. Its going in for the 60K maintenance and will have 59500 on it by the time I get it there Monday morning. I also told them about the problem. The tech at the counter said that the most simple fix, if its the problem, would be a simple reprogramming ... not sure that's the problem but ok. I also told them I was bringing it into them at that time because of the powertrain warranty and they said, "We'll have to see if its under warranty." Quite frankly I don't care what they find. Every part of the transmission is essential to the powertrain so therefore it should be covered unlike the engine where some stuff can break and the engine still run "fine" and therefore sometimes not covered.

I'll report back on Monday with the findings. I plan to take the Subaru and put it through the paces and see if I can get it to do anything after I get it back.

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2008.html

I found the above link on Subaru's website that gives all of the warranties for the year of the vehicle.

The Powertraing Limited Warranty covers the following:

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve trains

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and cover

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake and exhaust manifolds

Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential

Transaxle case and internal parts

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Seals and gaskets

Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]**

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

So pretty much anything that could cause this lurching should be covered. Anyone had a bad experience with Subaru and their warranties? I've only ever delt with Toyota and they can be a bit abrasive. Not that I have a problem telling a service rep how its gonna be, but I want to have my ducks in a row when I tell them to shove their, "its not covered" speech you know where if they try it.