Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester starts, then drops rpm... stalls

Hello all,

I am new here, I own an 02 WRX, and am looking at geting a Forester for the missus. We looked at a really nice one today, but it seems to have an issue.

When you turn the key, it starts first time, it revs up normally then the rpm drops way down, almost like its about to stall and sometimes it does. This only seems to happen when the engine is cold. After we had ran it for a while, it started up fine. After it sat for another hour, it had the same problem.

The car is an 06 Forester with 100K, has been meticulously maintained at dealer, and otherwise seems perfect. Does anyone have a best guess as to what could be causing this?

The idle control valves seem to be kinda screwy on those. I'd think either that is gunked up with carbon, or there is a vacuum leak of some kind. Possibly a split or disconnected hose somewhere.

Did you notice if the Check Engine Light comes on when the key is turned to ON? It should come on for a few second then go out.

yes, I believe the check engine light came on then went out, it certainly did not stay on.

I already negotiated $1K off his asking price for the impending timing belt/water pump replacement, I don't want to push it, seems very nice and genuine seller.

I am hoping it is just a simple fix/adjustment needed