Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Folks,

New to the board, but on my second Subaru. I had n '88 Justy that I put about 100K HARD miles on (great car) and now I have an '01 Outback wagon.

My check engine light came on today and I found out the catalytic converter is on it's way out. The car has 137K on it, I bought it as a one-owner that had been well maintained.

Is this an average time for the cat. to need replacement? Is it going to kill the O2 sensor if I don't fix it immediately?

Does the replacement have to be the VERY expensive one MIDAS (ironic, it's priced like gold, HAHA!) quoted me?

What brands are acceptable? Anyone have a good link to buy one? Low mile used OK?

Thanks for ALL and ANY help

crustodd1

you are in a no lose situation. if it is the cats, you are not going to put 11 year old o2 sensors back into new cats. that is just dumb.

so replace the o2 sensors now. if it fixes the problem , great. you don't have to spend $$$ on cats.

if it does not fix the problem ..... replace the cats and re-use the almost new o2 sensors.

i think it is the front o2 that you want to replace but i'm not sure.

little help, please.