Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi guys i just recently fixed my fuel pump and my car starts now but it is ticking really bad now and below the valve cover on the passenger side of the car starts smoking really bad near the exhaust flange and when i run my car it blows awful white smoke out the tail pipe

did you just buy it?

or had a while and it quit starting / running?

ticking really bad now and below the valve cover on the passenger side of the car
if it has been sitting, the tick is a HLA, hydraulic lash adjuster, the needs to pump up, give it some time.

and when i run my car it blows awful white smoke out the tail pipe
if it has been sitting the white smoke may burn off, burn out of the exhaust.

starts smoking really bad near the exhaust flange
this could easily be dripping engine oil burning off of the exhaust.

please tell me you just got this car and finally got it running. these things are much less worrisome if that is the case.

even if you have had this car a while, i am ever hopeful since it is an ej22.

Ej22, good. Put a set of valve cover gaskets on it. Make sure the rocker shaft bolts are tight. The ticking will go away after running for 20 - 30 minutes.

Hopefully the smoking out the tailpipe will go away. If not it could need head gaskets. Not unheard of for an EJ22.

But like Suzam said, smoking could be due to oil burning. Check the PCV valve. Oil level is correct?

Edited by Fairtax4me

white smoke usually indicates coolant in the combustion chamber black is usually oil.

check for any mixtures or oil film in the the coolant/engine oil. lack of power?

when I bought my lego it needed head gaskets but now runs great.

have you ever used subaru coolant conditioner? its essentially a sealant made for the ej25s that have weeping head gaskets and it works wonderfully on SMALL problems in the cooling system. cheep too about a buck seventy five from the dealer.

well my fuel pump stopped working so the car was sittin for a couple weeks till i got the fuel pump fixed. i think i got some atf fluid from the leaky power steering pump in the oil thru the open spark plug hole when i was towin it but i changed out the oil but kept the old filter on. the smoke is just coming from the exhaust flange only on the passenger side where i think the tickin is coming from i also took the pcv valve out to spray starting fluid in to diagnose my fuel pump failure but i put it back on and put the hose back on the pcv valve

white smoke usually indicates coolant in the combustion chamber black is usually oil.

check for any mixtures or oil film in the the coolant/engine oil. lack of power?

when I bought my lego it needed head gaskets but now runs great.

have you ever used subaru coolant conditioner? its essentially a sealant made for the ej25s that have weeping head gaskets and it works wonderfully on SMALL problems in the cooling system. cheep too about a buck seventy five from the dealer.

Uhmm I thought it was always white smoke for coolant, black for running a bit rich and blue smoke for burning oil.

true, but ej engines very very very rarely have head gaskets that fail this way. so you almost never see white smoke from a head gasket failure in a subaru.

i know, never say never.

mine never mixed with the old hG's it would just overpressuize the system. When I did everything I lubed up cylinder walls with some oil before putting the heads back on and about 4 hours later when I started it up I got some blue smoke for a few seconds.

Large amounts of oil burning will smoke white. When a turbo goes bad it smokes because it's pouring oil straight into the exhaust. Get enough oil in the cylinder and it won't all burn, it gets spit out into the exhaust, then burns off white as it moves down the pipes and through the cats.

Uhmm I thought it was always white smoke for coolant, black for running a bit rich and blue smoke for burning oil.

right on! black/blueish is oil. no experience with running rich other than seeing white dropped honda's asses covered in black "afterburner" film.