Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20 turbo + XT-6

glcoupeguy

I believe the XT6 uses the same tranny as the XT, so the same adapter should work. That said, I don't think a manual tranny will last very long under the power of the EJ20 turbo. The automatic can hold up to more power but you'll need to do something to firm up the shifts.

you'll need to get or make an adapter plate. SJR sells them - same part used in an EA82/EJ swap since the XT6 bellhousiung is the same as all EA82 stuff.

or you could get an EJ trans, they're not too terribly hard to come by i don't think.

I have an ej222 in front of an xt6 trans in my 86 3door swap.

If you research, claims have been made that the xt6 trans is very stout if not more than the wrx trans.

the xt6 trans has taller gearsets and 3.9 gear. think of the gearing as road course instead of autocross.

the xt6 tans fits the same as any ea82 trans, using the same ej swap methods.

you will have to modify the engine crossmember to clear the turbo up pipe

I believe the WRX trans has 25 spline stubs; my trans is in storage otherwise I'd double check, but I'm pretty sure. Maybe you're thinking of the 27 splines at the hub.

I have no experience with the XT6 manual tranny, but I find it hard to believe that a transaxle designed for 145 HP is stronger than one designed for 260 HP. :) I'm sure using the smaller XT6 clutch will help with trans longevity.

I have no experience with the XT6 manual tranny, but I find it hard to believe that a transaxle designed for 145 HP is stronger than one designed for 260 HP. :) I'm sure using the smaller XT6 clutch will help with trans longevity.

Someone would beg to differ. mechanically, these trans swap internals to some degree. someone may chime in. Altogether it is not a bad idea. Just don't drive the car like you are trying to break it.

sorry for the lagged response. thanks for all the info though! i do believe the trans is stranger as some have suggested... though first gear just went out on it so im hunting down a new one..

i have an EJ22 5spd, though i dont know the model.. ill be examining it soon as its in someone else's garage right now