Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" Subaru owner - '92 Loyale - Things to look for?

Hi there,

New to the Subaru community as I have just purchased a first. I picked up an AWD '92 Loyale yesterday with a barely broken in 266k miles on it :D. It is in decent shape for what I was looking for (A car to get me through the summer and into the Jackson Hole winter) until I can save enough cash for something I am really looking for.

I know that the power steering pump needs to be replaced, as it is leaking, and it seems like there's some oil leaking as well, and according to all the records in the glove compartment (I was lucky to have got it from someone who kept detailed records), it looks like the valve gaskets may need replacing? I dont think I should have an issue with the power steering but not sure how much a task replacing the gaskets will be. Are there any DIY threads anywhere for these projects? A quick search didnt turn anything up for me.

Also, anything else I should be looking at as far as concerns or typical problems with these cars? I'm not looking to dump a whole lot of money into it but I do like my cars to drive consistently well, and it would retain the value (If any) when I go to unload it again. I am thinking I may try and seafoam the engine before an oil change today, is there anything else you folks can think of?

Thanks!!!

Liam

Be careful... That was my intention when i bought my wagon and I have had it for almost 4 years now. They grow on you like a fungus...:D

Welcome!

mine follows me everywhere I go, I can't shake the thing, it's hiding out in the parking lot right now, just waiting ....

Yes, they really do grow on you.

I got rid of my leone bout a 6months ago and since then i have ovned 93' legacy with dual-range transmission and ej22

And subaru domingo van(that thing was probably the funniest, scariest, and unsafest thing to drive ever)

And today i am going to take a train and go buy me a loyale again :D

Well see how it goes.. It will definetly b3 an adveture because the car has been sitting still for almost a year and now i have to drive it some 500km's to my home from Joensuu, finland :D

The car itself costs only 100euros and is been driven only 200,000km

I think you mean 4WD unless it's a turbo or something. They didn't go to AWD until the 1990 Legacy, and even then it was an option. There were older Subarus with AWD but they were turbos. So... don't drive it on the street with that little button pushed in. You'll break stuff.

The cam towers like to leak. If you decide to do the timing belt, you should reseal the cam seals and oil pump. The cooling systems were weak too, make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge. Might as well replace the thermostat with an OEM ONLY unit. Be sure the hoses are in good shape. You really don't want to get it hot... could crack the heads and it could get expensive unless there are older Subarus readily available where you're located. I've had 10 (or 11?) of these cars and they're alot of fun to drive unless they're automatics, those 3 speeds (3at) are hideous. I've got an EA81 now (you've got an EA82) and I'll never own another EA82. But if you're just keeping it for a winter car and it's nothing permanent, then it should serve you well. I do, however, recommend you look for either a gen 1 Legacy, or an EA81 model car. A better example of an honest Subaru IMHO (MANY others will agree). They were trying to be like everybody else with the '85-'94 GL/Loyales.

Thanks for all the responses! You're right, it's actually 4WD, and I dont think I'll be using that anytime soon. I will also keep an eye on the temp gauge and look into replacing the thermostat. It is a fun little car to drive, and the one thing I have noticed is that only after I shift into 3rd the CEL comes on, which I'm not to surprised at with a car with this many miles. Also noticed that the car, mainly from 2nd through 4th, while driving at low RPMS, actually hesitates or sputters quite a bit, like the fuel is cutting out or something, but will go away when I hit the gas and get it up to a cruising speed. Think this might be a fuel pump?

Hopefully I'll get the seafoam project done within the next few days and it will run a bit smoother. Thanks for all the input guys, I look forward to reading up on what you guys are doing!

I bought a 92 Loyale last year, and as much as it's been a headache, I love the thing. It is the 3 Spd. Automatic, and the transmission is solid. I hate it, but it drives well, and isn't horrible on gas. I would keep an eye on the CV Shafts. I've had issues with mine, and needing to replace both. And keeps an eye on the wheel hubs if your shafts ever go bad.

When I first got it, I replaced the distributor cap, plugs, wires, pads and shoes, as well as thermostat and coolant. Which is probably something I would recommend doing. The thermostat it had in it was stuck open, and it was a good thing I replaced it, because it started reading correctly afterwards. The car never over heats, and seems to have a good radiator in it. It's a good little car, I paid $400 for it, and have probably put that much or more into it, and it does the job.