Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can anyone clear up the timing marks mystery for me! i have the crank with an arrow and a line on the back of it i cant seem to find any on the passenger side cam pulley the only one i ,m sure of is the drivers side when its loaded it lines up with a notch on the cover i,ve seen a picture on another thread with the crank.my arrow and line are lined up i,m completly confused.can anyone post pictures of this belt hung properly. and its a bear to get on there must be a procedure to hang this thing with out any struggle:banghead:

NEVER the arrows, always the lines / hash marks.

the hash marks on the cam sprockets are on the front edge, the face of the sprocket. the crank has it on the rear of the sprocket.

some one should have a good pic, but here are a couple of links with good info. the second page of the first link may have what you need.

> timing belt pictures this is for the ej22, but the process and parts are the same except for the tensioner. yours is different.

> TIMING BELT ARTICLES

Edited by johnceggleston

the arrow and hash are in line withone another
for which sprocket?

my subaru is missing the marks on the passenger side
put the hash mark straight up in the 12 o'clock position. this is true for all 3 sprockets. (the arrows on the cams should be about 45 degrees to the right, between the 1 and 2 oclock position. on the crank, the arrow, if you have one will be pointing in the 3 oclock position.)

when in the correct position, the crank sprocket will have the keyway in the 6 o'clock position.

you should probably do a tooth count to make sure you get it right. start with the crank and locate the cams based on tooth count.

Edited by johnceggleston

for which sprocket?

put the hash mark straight up in the 12 o'clock position. this is true for all 3 sprockets. (the arrows on the cams should be about 45 degrees to the right, between the 1 and 2 oclock position. on the crank, the arrow, if you have one will be pointing in the 3 oclock position.)

when in the correct position, the crank sprocket will have the keyway in the 6 o'clock position.

you should probably do a tooth count to make sure you get it right. start with the crank and locate the cams based on tooth count.

i,m not sure i fully understand please be patient with me i/m a novice with subarus(first one ever)if i,m counting the teeth on the belt how many teeth should i count to the cams.am i starting with the dotted lines on the belt?