Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i was repair pair of head gasket (Becky) on ea82 loyal.

so, it's was running good and i was drove around 10 miles and there have a temp's gauge going climb-up to overheating...the muffler became blow out! Even coolant box was broil out also radiator too.

does I got a mistake torque head? 25, 46 AND 52 FT LB.

OR need repair Thermostat

or new bolts

or what?

manifold gasket is good....

but whats wrong is??

if I understand your post correctly, your saying you installed new head gaskets, got it running good, drove it about 10 miles, it over heated and you had boiling coolant coming out of the muffler as well as the over flow and the radiator?

if that's what your saying, something went wrong with your head gasket Job. or you didn't replace all that was wrong with it.

in my opinion, if your doing head gaskets because of over heating problems, you should probably also replace the radiator and thermostat, (Thermostat should be dealer only) the old radiators in the EA82's are marginal at best for cooling, and are easily plugged up over time.

if I had to do head gaskets over again, I'd also replace the radiator, thermostat, and water pump.

just my opinion, others may differ.

i was repair pair of head gasket (Becky) on ea82 loyal.

so, it's was running good and i was drove around 10 miles and there have a temp's gauge going climb-up to overheating...the muffler became blow out! Even coolant box was broil out also radiator too.

does I got a mistake torque head? 25, 46 AND 52 FT LB.

OR need repair Thermostat

or new bolts

or what?

manifold gasket is good....

but whats wrong is??

yea, i did perfectly resurfaced and smoothly before installed.

i think head gasket just failure or thermostat.

water pump is good bearing and there good spring. but i can tell it's old, so whats is different?

i will show my youtube for EA82 on this weekend. 8)

yeah, coolant over the flow. when car cool down and could start again but will overheat again.

Before diging into everything, lets get a wet and dry compression test to see what is going on.

Was there coolant in the over flow tank (I think this has one?) after the car cooled down

but last time i was drove pretty good and i decide to repair head gasket because of there was bad lacky by oil..

At this point your probably better off getting another used engine that is running and known to be good. Engine swap is easier then head gasket job.