Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb rebuild

Most would say step one, remove carb. Step two: Toss in scrap bin. Install weber carb.

I think if you have 1 minor symptom or its just gummed up from sitting its probably worth rebuild kit and time. If its got multiple problems, toss it.

Essentially its like any carb. Pull apart and lay it out as you take it apart. Take notes and replace a gasket at a time out of the kit physically matching up each little part. Usually comes with a diagram. Try to get a kit from Subaru if its still available.

The Haynes repair manual found at many auto parts stores has a decent (numbered) step by step for the Hitachi. It's not good for much else, but it goes into detail on the carb rebuild section.

I always tell people on their first rebuild, tape each part to a sheet of cardboard or paper with transparent tape as you remove it, and write the part name and step in the rebuild process next to it. Reassembly is basically reverse of disassembly, so if everything is laid out consecutively and labeled it makes reassembly very easy.

Getting the float needle seat out of the choke body can be difficult. Use a large screw extractor and it will come out very easily.

I just rebuilt the one on my '81 hatch and replaced the vapor canister, and I am now getting over 30 mpg. Good Luck