Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idling problems:Any trouble shooting tips

I had a timing belt change done at a garage after a idler failed on my 99 2.5 sohc engine it broke while it was at a stop light idling. after the new belt was hung it idled rough but seems to run fine once you pull out and start going i dont notice any drop off in power or fuel mileage you can here what sounds like the car is putting.In other words when it idles the sound of the engine out the exhaust goes putt,putt, putt,Ithought maybe they hung the belt wrong but that seems to be fine.any thoughts would be great from anyone thanks

i checked to make sure all the timing marks where aligned and tha checked out fine i also did a compression check on the cylinders (wet)they where all aronund 140.I should have mentioned that the car has a missfire code in cylinder 1 and 3

Then a plug(nothing fancy!), a wire, or the coil.

Look for an electircal problem on the front 2 cylinders.

I usually swithc plug wires fron tot back as a start to see if code stays with the wires or not. Then on to plugs, then onto coil.

I have used Diamond coils I sell on Ebay - PM me if you need one.

I may also have decent OEM plug wires.

2.5's MUCH PREFER OEN plug wires.

NGK spark plugs.

Then a plug(nothing fancy!), a wire, or the coil.

Look for an electircal problem on the front 2 cylinders.

I usually swithc plug wires fron tot back as a start to see if code stays with the wires or not. Then on to plugs, then onto coil.

I have used Diamond coils I sell on Ebay - PM me if you need one.

I may also have decent OEM plug wires.

2.5's MUCH PREFER OEN plug wires.

NGK spark plugs.

Is there any way to test the coil using a multimeter

I'm sure there is - but that's beyond my expertise.

I have several here and takes a few minutes to swap so that's what I do.

Have you tried moving the wires yet? Wires and/or plugs are probably the most likely cause.

ireplaced the plugs and wires it still runs the same.I wish i had one to swap i dont want to buy one because if its not the problem i just wasted money i dont have to trouble shoot but i really do appreciate your input it has helped to narrow down the search.I'll just have to check around here there are a couple subaru dealers ho might let me swap with one of theres to see if thats it so thanks i think thats my next step

check cam timing if runs differnt than before bent valve is it roler valve train ? if so bent valves if not timing out one tooth make a hudge differance or bad plugs but doubt it

if the valves are bent wouldn't it get worse as the rpms climbed?There isn't any noise coming from the heads that make it sound like there is any mechanical problem.And when the rpms reach around 1500 the engine is smooth.there is no hesitation in throttle response.I suspect that if the valves are bent there would be some kind of significant performance drop.Maybe I'm wrong and i'm being optomistic.

I'm assuming that if valves were bent it would show up with the compression check.

Also opposing cylinder misfire is almost always electrical.

Member Cougar here can probably tell you how to check coil pask with multimeter.

What BRAND plug wires. It's very important. It's nice that you got new ones but it they were store brand you haven't proved anything.

thanks for the inputi wont be able toget them for a couple weeks you know how it goes with finances.i,ll replace them then and i'll post back then to see if that fixxes it I also sent couger a messAGE AND REQUESTED THE TESTING PROCEDURE FOR THE COIL

test for coil pull wires off one at time about a inch from coil spark should be able to jump gap when running make shure use gloves and insalated plyers if has good spark is ok. Have only seen coil fail by tracing to ground bolt or burning a trace inside the coil outputs. but just losing spark never have seen the odd ig mod loose one side of coil but makes two dead cly at same time ether 2/4 or1/3. I whoud still gess valve damage have seen the valves get just touched barly but enuff that will still run but valves are not strait but still seal was commen on the later roler train 2.2