Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Radiators manual vs. Automatic

I have a used rad from a manual. That would be a no-go to drop into an auto then?

if you have a used manual trans radiator:

A.) if it's original OEM (most likely) then it won't have the transmission cooler lines in it. you can still use it if you install an aftermarket transmission cooler for $30, still cheaper than another radiator.

i think this is the one i usually use:

http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission-Coolers/Derale/D13311.html

Subarus only need the smallest cooler you can find. wouldn't surprise me if those ones i've used are actually too big for the daily drivers i've used them on. but so far, so good.

B.) if it's an aftermarket radiator it will have the transmission cooler lines on it - just look and see, we can't tell you that without looking at the radiator. just look - does it have tubes coming out of it or not?

It doesnt seem to make much difference. The main difference is m/t wont have cooler lines. However most aftermarket sources produce one item to save money. If m/t doesnt have something a/t does they make the a/t one for both models and u dont use what u dont need i.e. the cooler. I have an auto radiator in my m/t 95 and have no issues from it.