Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Faulty wheel bearing '00 Outback?

So after getting the old bearing out of the housing and putting in the new bearing into the housing, how do you get the hub back into the bearing? Do you just get the axle in there and then it pulls the hub back in as you tighten the axle nut?

Good points! I will never attempt it with a light hammer again. 10lb at the absolute minimum. I didn't feel it that day, but the next day and today I just about feel like I sprained my wrists and thumbs. Going full force so many times with light hammer was not a good idea.

Edited by porcupine73

From my notes doing a rear bearing with the HubTamer:

1. If your new bearing came with inner plastic sleeve retainer, then remove it now. Gently tap it out with hammer and screwdriver from outside toward differential.

2. Pack new outer seal (the one with no metal spring inside it) with grease. Install new outer seal using 311888-flat side to housing. This seal is fully installed when flush to housing. (the orientation of the seals is pretty simple - inner and outer seals closest to the bearing go in with the open part (the part with the spring) facing the bearing.

3. Grease up spindle shaft of hub and use Hub Tamer to press it into inner races of new bearing. From inboard toward outer : HT #s: 503052(bolt), 219646(washer), 311887-ridge side toward bearing to support inner race! Flip over to flat side for last 1 cm of pressing in hub, /Housing/, 311888-cup toward hub, 219646(washer), 311881(nut). Regrease HT parts each time you use them to prevent friction damage. Pressing in the hub only takes 25% of the force that pressing the bearing in takes. Per ultimatesubaru.org forum: “Also when you press the hub back into the bearing and compare the spin of it to the other wheels it will be somewhat tighter. As long as it turns by hand it will be O.K. and will get as loose as the rest in short order.”

4. Use similar HT setup as above to install inner seals, use #314302 against inner seals. Pack seals with grease. The innermost seal (nearest to the differential) goes in with the rubber dust-boot ridge lip pointing into the bearing. Again, the innermost seal (nearest to diff) is fully installed when it feels almost flush with housing.)