Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any difference in EJ22 Harmonic Balancers over the years?

I'm working on a '96 Subaru Impreza with the 2.2 EJ22, the rubber on the balancer was cracked and it'd been wobbling so I'm going to replace it as well as doing the timing and water pump.

I picked up a decent looking balancer from the junkyard from a '97 outback (I think) with an ej22.

These should be the same parts, right?

They look very similar however I don't remember the old one having any "holes" on the front face (like these, however this isn't my picture)

Unfortunately I don't have the old balancer to compare anymore.

basically, will a balancer from a '97 legacy fit a '96 impreza?

Any input?

Edited by onyxyth

I'm working on a '96 Subaru Impreza with the 2.2 EJ22, the rubber on the balancer was cracked and it'd been wobbling so I'm going to replace it as well as doing the timing and water pump.

I picked up a decent looking balancer from the junkyard from a '97 outback (I think) with an ej22.

These should be the same parts, right?

They look very similar however I don't remember the old one having any "holes" on the front face (like these, however this isn't my picture)

Unfortunately I don't have the old balancer to compare anymore.

basically, will a balancer from a '97 legacy fit a '96 impreza?

Any input?

More than likely it will fit, but if it's wobbling it's most likely the pulley has gotten loose.

Lotsa threads here about fixing loose pulleys. Basically cranking it down 130 lb/ft.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The previous pulley was wobbling because of the cracked rubber, it was visibly skewed. The new one is straight as an arrow. Good to hear it will fit, too.

I appreciate the help, I'll have to keep this forum in mind as this car ends up in my garage pretty often, hah!

There seems to be a physical difference between the automatic and 5MT harmonic balancers but I've found they are all interchangeable. I'm not quite sure why there is a difference. I've tended to collect them at the pull a part yards just so I have a spare when I need it since the rubber does fail in these.

• 2 years later...

Any EJ crank pulley will fit. They are all the same with respect to fitment.

GD

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I figured it would be better than just creating a new one. 

I would just like to clarify. I need a new harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley for my '94 Legacy L EJ22 asap. The only ones that are in stock in my area are for a '99 Legacy Outback EJ25. Will the EJ25 HB/Pulley work on my EJ22?

Thanks very much.