Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheap horsepower from 79 wagon

What can I do to get some more horsepower from a 79 wagon. I'm talking easy and cheap little additions. Not looking for a fire breather....yet.

Also is my 1600 engine an EA71? Are there any other sources of info on these older ones specifically? This forum rocks, but 95% of it isn't for my car.

no new motor just yet. Carbs sound like a fairly straight forward process. As a novice mechanic which would be the easiest to install and fine tune? This thing is pretty straight, and rust free. More than I expexted and my little brain keeps screaming "Restore Restore". So I don't want to hack anything up that I'll regret later.

Air flow, exhaust and fuel are all fairly easy things to change and can make a huge improvement.

1. Port and polish the heads, If you are savvy you can do this yourself.

2. Take the intake manifold off and smooth out the casting, allowing for better airflow.

3. change the carb.

4. update the exhaust. cutting it off after the y-pipe and putting in a new non stock system. the old system probably isn't working as it should and also weighs a lot.

5. Buy a K&N air filter

Edited by Reza