Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Brighton Wagon, Auto: Factory tires: 185-70-14.

Can I put on some 205-60-15 tires (80% tread, with rims) from a 1998 Outback Wagon without messing up my AWD ? If so, any guess how much my speedometer will be off - high/low? Thanks for any help.

Can I put on some 205-60-15 tires (80% tread, with rims) from a 1998 Outback Wagon without messing up my AWD ?

yes, you should be able to bolt them on and not rub or cause any damage as long as they are all within 1/4 inch in circumference.

the speedo will show about 2% slower than actual. example, speedo says 70, actual speed = 71.4 mph.

the 15 inch tire that fits legacy, same size, is 195/60/15.

BUT, stock outbacks are 205/70/15, and they will rub. so double check. to run these you will need to install outback struts and springs. easy swap.

stock GT tires are 205/55/16, they will fit as well no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

greeat info. I to have 99 legacy brighton wagon and front tire blew out yesterday. not sure how much longer I want to hold onto the car and put more money into so I'm heading out to salvage yards tomorrow.

95 - 99

model........................stock size.................................diameter

legacy L....................185/70/14 ..............................24.20 inches

GT.............................205/55/16 ..............................24.88 inches

outback ...................205/70/15 ...............................26.30 inches

tire in question .........205/60/15 ...............................24.69 inches

the GT and the legacy, L, Brighton, have the same exact under carriage except for the sway bar. the struts are the same. so if the GT tire will fit the lego then so will the 205/60/15.

i have ''read'' that the impreza, some early years , had 13'' tires but i don't really know., i have also ''read'', and assume to be correct, that the undercarriage is the same as the lego for similar years. (93 - 99) but i guess it is possible that the early imprezas had some differences from the legos. but i don't think so.

ps: until you go really wide, it is the diameter that limits tire size. the tire will start to rub on the strut spring perch.

one a completely different subject. after i swapped an ej22 into my 97 GT i lifted with outback struts. then going for better fuel economy i added stock outback tires. (the GT A/T has the outback final drive ratio, 4.44) well this made the car a little more sluggish and it threw off my speedo by about 3.8%. so i swapped in slightly smaller tires, 3.8% smaller in fact. (215/55/16, still bigger than the stock GT tires.) it corrected the speedo and gave it a little more power. (not a lot but some.)

i really like having an accurate speedo and i was truly surprised that the math that worked on paper actually worked out with the tires.

Edited by johnceggleston