Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator fitting leak - 95 legacy - ? fix (pics)

Hey guys ive had a small coolant leak that i localized to the area around a fitting on the lower driver side of the radiator plastic side/housing. it's just above where the bottom hose connects.

photo77.jpg

IS this fixable, and how, or do I need a new radiator.

I did a quick search at rockauto.com and theyre like $78 for an inexpensive replacement. This is the original rad AFAIK. 180K miles.

thx

JB Weld is the first thing I thought of too. However, since it is the car's original, I would be more inclined to buy a replacement radiator. The old radiator is apt to spring a leak somewhere else.

Last Fall, I replaced the radiator on my 98 OBW. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts on line. Google "Advance Auto coupons," to get a $30 discount code to apply towards the bill. Their discounts have saved me a lot of money. Product quality is good too.

I would be more inclined to buy a replacement radiator. The old radiator is apt to spring a leak somewhere else.

Exactly! I JBWelded a crack in my wife's Maxima. Patch held great, but within a few weeks the old plastic cracked again a few inches away.

i'm not a big JB weld fan but i will also admit i'm the minority. my experience is that it either doesn't work well as a long term solution or if it does there is likely some other better approach to repairing it. i'm not the kind of person that just wants to limp something along for a year (anymore LOL).

i can't quite see how that fitting is attached but if that's a threaded ring at the base, how about unthreading it, cleaning it up, and resealing it all with coolant tolerant sealant - RTV or something. there's probably an oring associated with that somewhere right? i've taken radiators apart before and i know there are orings sealing some of the bits that pass through the casing.

I have a leak at that fitting as well - and this is on a replacement radiator (not the original factory one that came with the car). In fairness, the radiator worked well for many months before the leak decided to show up.

I've put a wrench on the nut to try to tighten the fitting down. But I am too worried about cracking the plastic housing if I wail on the nut too much. Not sure what bushing, washer or oring is behind that fitting.

And for what it is worth, even after moderate tightening, that fitting still leaks.

So until it gets real bad or I had a large block of time to work on it when the wife doesn't need the car, it will have to do for now. Just keep an eye on the coolant level and usage.

I was on my phone when I posted earlier and couldn't see that the fitting has a hex on it. Thought it was just round.

I would guess that fitting just threads into the cooler assembly inside the end cap and there is a separate seal (O-ring) between the cooler and end cap to hold back the antifreeze. I don't think any amount of tightening on that fitting will help a leak of that nature. I suggested the JB because it could possibly work as a temporary fix if you needed time to order a radiator or didn't have the time/money to replace it right away, although it does take twice as long if you have to remove the radiator twice. (once to "repair" the leak, and again to replace it 2 weeks later).