Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT loud binding pop noise...CV? Transaxle??

A month or so ago I had the driver's side CV replaced on my 86 BRAT after the old one shredded the boot. Almost immediately I started to get a "binding pop" whenever I take a sharp left turn ONLY. It didn't do it before, so naturally I took it back to the shop assuming that a bad CV axle had been installed. However, the shop says that they believe its the transaxle, NOT the CV they replaced. He said they inspected the CV and everything looked and sounded really good. And minus some warped rotors and needing to repack the wheel bearings everyting else seemed fine, so it must be a transaxle issue. Anyone have experience with this?

So again, it only does it when I turn sharp left, slow speed, I almost feel that I can sense it binding, and as I straighten back out the steering wheel....pop! It also seems to have gotten a bit worse lately, popping followed by a click . It does not to ANYTHING else "odd" other then this pop sound when I straighten the wheel back out, and drives frick'n great everywhere I go.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Sounds like a CV to me but the first thing I'd do is jack up that corner and check for play in shock mounts, ball joints, etc. Might as well check for play in the CV too. You'd think a shop would notice something like that while it was on the lift, I don't know, never heard of a tranny doing something like that on left turns only.

I was just saying in another post how a few months ago I went thru 3 CV's before finding one that didn't click. Parts quality these days is terrible in my opinion. The axle I ended up with was a reman where the others were supposedly "new". Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I'm def not in 4wd. The shop said they checked for play in the cv, but seemed good. Well, I have the shop swapping it out anyways to see if it changes in any way, its warrantied, so no worries there. One thing, I'm pretty sure of its only doing it when the vehicle is moving. If I'm sitting still and I turn the wheel all the way either way, it is fine. It only feels to bind and pop when the wheel is turning...something I probably should have told the shop, since they probably just put it up on the lift and turned the wheel, and why he didn't seem to describe or understand exactly what I was experiencing.

Since they did agree to change the CV, maybe that will fix it and I'll be able to pinpoint it by how it drives afterward.

I think it did it to me in reverse too, but I'm not positive now and my Brat is sitting at the mechanics until later this afternoon. When I get it back and IF I'm still having issues, I'll make sure to check if it does it in reverse