Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I evacuated the system a brought the system down to -30Kpa. After I closed the valves and turned off the vacuum the system slowly went down to -22Kpa after an hour and is holding at that pressure.

One of the other posts mentioned that this might indicate that the dryer should be replaced?

SubaruAcDryer.jpg

This looks like the dryer with pressure switch on top. What kind of connector is that, and do I need some kind of gasket stuff?

Why are you doing AC work? Did the system leak down?

If that's the original dryer, and you had the system open. Replace it. They're only about $15, it's a waste of money not to.

It will come with the o-rings. Also, you should replace the o-rings on the compressor lines, they go dry and leak out. That's the most common leak.

When you're filling the system back up, use oil with dye. That way if there's a leak you can easily track it down.

Don't use sealer. Sealer is bad in any system, be in oil, coolant, tranny, or AC system. It's a bandaid to fix a leak. Just fix the leak properly.

I just redid the system on my legacy and it's working minty fresh.

i'm actually tring to figure out why the went out, since it's now holding a vacuum. I'll pick a dryer and O rings.

Well, if it had zero system pressure, it had to have leaked somewhere...

Was it working fine, then all of a sudden lost all pressure and stopped? Or was it more gradual.

I re-charged the system and the a/c is working fine. What is weird is the system had a static pressure of 60 psi before I evacuated it? The compressor was coming on and no cooling. The manifold gauges were showing 25/100 psi low/high readings. Prior to the a/c going out I had a bad radiator and a couple of overheating episodes. I figured I would evacuate the system to ensure that I added the right amount of r134a gas.

The drier is too cheap not to replace if you have the system depressurized.

Look on the label under the hood, should be on top of the header panel by the hood latch, that will tell you how much refrigerant to put in the system. Unless it has been altered in some way from stock form, filling with the recommended volume of refrigerant will get it working as it is designed to.