Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza 5 speed FSM info or used to buy

A friend has a 95 Impreza (1.8 actually) speed that I sold him.

He's been pulling a trialer with way too heavy of stuff in it.

Pops out of some gears and linkage(or actually gear sloppiness) is an issue.

Looking for a FSM that applies or good used trans and read diff from anything that will fit. Infact I believe it may have a trans/diff form a Legacy in it now.

I've never been able to buy many manual Subaru's. I believe the 99 auto's got another speed sensor. So not positive of what all years(and models) will interchange.

I do have (and found here today) some FSM's but most are scans which makes them a bit hard to look through. I have som esaved that won't copy to CD for some reason.

So if anyone has a link (or can email me) the appropriate FSM(or atleast the manual trnas section) or provide a link that would be great.

If anyone within a few hundred miles has known good parts please PM me.

Thanks.

Well the first thing I would do is put some bushings on the linkage and see if that helps with the popping out of gear. Make sure the trans mount is in good shape as well.

If it doesn't help it's tear down time. Likely the mainshaft bearing is worn out. Check the bustedfingermotorsports.com forums for service manual downloads. I don't have the link to their download page but I know they have Legacy and Impreza FSMs. The trans is the same other than a few gear ratios, so you could also use a Legacy FSM from here: http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

For the transmission section.

Also you can search here for Gloyales thread on how to separate the case to get to the guts. I just did a rear bearing replacement and can offer a few tips if you need any help.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Gary,

I put a97 Legacy FSM on a CD for him. I think it was all scanned pages so may not be the most ocnvenient. I'm sure I found the link for it here somewhere.

I"m guessing 95-99 would work but don't know if/when they changed the speed sensor like the auto's in what 99?

Don't know if other body styles (pre 95, post 99) would work or not. I realize hte FSM won't help with this. But if he tears it down to fix this one he'll need this FSM.