Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter compatibility

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I have not been able to locate anything in the archives directly related to my question. Anyhow, I have a 1984 GL 2 door. I pulled the factory 4 speed out and am replacing it with a 5 speed out of a 1986 GL Wagon. Does anyone know if the starter from the 4 speed will work in the 5 speed? I'm thinking it won't simply because the flywheel for the 5 speed is slightly larger in diameter than the one I took out.

Thank you ahead of time for any input.

I am using an '84 4-speed flywheel/pressure plate with a 5-speed trans, I am dropping engine in the car now (have not installed the starter yet). I expect I will need to space out the starter with washers for it to operate properly.

I'm guessing that if you are using the 5-speed flywheel that matches 5-speed trans, you probably will not need to space out with washers in that case- but I can't verify that the 4 and 5 speed starter motors themselves are the same part number..

Am I remembering correct, the 5-speed flywheel has a slightly different crankshaft bolt pattern being on the ea82 engine, and for installation on the ea81 engine the bolts go in but everything slightly loose and you want to rotate the flywheel furthest clockwise or counterclockwise before tightening bolts well w/ loctite?

Edited by TajMan

Am I remembering correct, the 5-speed flywheel has a slightly different crankshaft bolt pattern being on the ea82 engine, and for installation on the ea81 engine the bolts go in but everything slightly loose and you want to rotate the flywheel furthest clockwise or counterclockwise before tightening bolts well w/ loctite?

You may be correct, but I know nothing of this. The bolt pattern appeared to be the same, and everything felt and looked good when I torqued everything down. Once I am ready to try things out, which should be in the next week, I guess I'll find out. Worst case, I suppose I'll pull the tranny back out and fix the problem. :banghead:

Thank you for your thoughts....

I found some post in old threads

The larger holes in the EA82 flywheel are of no concern. You use the smaller EA81 bolts and you torque it properly. It does not cause a problem. I've run probably a dozen like this over the years and it's never been an issue.

GD

Yeah I can understand the concern. But really you have like 8 bolts torqued to 55 ft/lbs. Chances of it moving are really freakin slim. If you really want to be careful make sure you thread in all the bolts and then rock the flywheel clockwise before torquing them. This will insure that the shock loading from engaging the clutch will tend to push against the bolts rather than against empty space.

You could also get some peices of tubing to cut and put around the bolts to take up the space.

Not really an issue in the real world though.

GD

So yes, ea81 uses smaller bolts but if TQ'd corretly you shouldn't run into a problem.

I guess to fit ea82 flywheel to ea81 engine just requires a small amount of grinding on the block case, and re-scribing the ea81 timing marks onto the ea82 flywheel to be able to properly set ignition timing.

Thanks for the research. Although in the quote this guy is saying 55 ft/lbs of torque on the flywheel to crank bolts, my repair manual only called for 35 lbs. And then 40 lbs. on the drive plate to flywheel bolts... So that is what I did. Like I said though, if this causes me an issue I'll just pull the tranny back out and go from there.

Thanks again TajMan.