Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axle

im having a little problem with the front cv axles on my 1986 subaru gl-10 turbo build.

the problem is that the newer style subaru cv axles are to long in my car.

what is in the car as of now is impreza/legacy 5x100 knuckles, xt6 control arms, and a STi 6mt.

i been trying to mix and match race and shafts with all years of subarus to get a short shaft. the shaft perfect in length for this set up i have would be the factory oem 1986 subaru gl-10 turbo shaft, but the 25 spline is so different nothing fits on it.

am i missing something in this build ? are the xt6 front cv axles the ones i need to make this work ? are the xt6 cv axles short like my oem factory subaru 1986 gl-10 turbo ones ?

any help would be greatly appreciated !

• Like 1

non-widebody EJ axles should work fine. I ran a few different combinations of '90s EJ axles in my wagon, and they worked just fine. Longer, but within the travel of the DOJ.

XT6 is close, but will require a different inner seal to seat correctly.

I don't remember what 6MTs had what for axle splines. But if you've got female splines on the transmission, I believe 4EAT stubs will give you the 25 male splines you need to make older EJ parts work

non-widebody EJ axles should work fine. I ran a few different combinations of '90s EJ axles in my wagon, and they worked just fine. Longer, but within the travel of the DOJ.

XT6 is close, but will require a different inner seal to seat correctly.

I don't remember what 6MTs had what for axle splines. But if you've got female splines on the transmission, I believe 4EAT stubs will give you the 25 male splines you need to make older EJ parts work

See I have the stubs in my 6mt, I put them in.

The problem with say a oem factory old school cv shaft is in my car is there to long. If I could change the joints on the shaft of the gl-10 turbo it would work perfect because they are shorter.

When I put in my impreza or legacy shaft, STi are a little longer I have no play at all. The shaft are perfect parallel straight.

I might order one factory xt6 shaft and see if it's as short as my gl-10 ones.

I'm post some pictures on all the shafts and million races cages I been messing around to make this work.

The gl-10 has thes huge splinds which nothing go on maybe a xt6 might ??

Ok see the first shaft at the bottom of the pic is a brand new oem impreza or legacy shaft

The secon shaft with no joints plain empty is the gl-10 one see how short it is

165ac14d.jpg

This is the table of mess LOL

4665199b.jpg

And I managed to mix rear xt6 with Jdm version 8 inner joints to make the r180 work. The shafts are small so they might blow up on a hard launch I think.

4e2c8e12.jpg

When I first did my 5-lug swap, I was running '92 Legacy FWD shafts (came from the same donor as my EJ22). Over the years, blown boots and wheel bearings have led to a number of different '90s EJ axles and knuckle combinations to be swapped out, all with no trouble at all.

This was in my '92 Loyale, AWD XT6 control arms, EJ knuckles and struts, EA81 TREs.

Then swapped into my '88 XT6, with stock AWD XT6 control arms, and EJ knuckles and struts, XT6 TREs

And now in my '89 XT6, ditto....

Never had an issue with length.

To give you some measurements, these are all EMPI photos/measurements, found on RockAuto:

EA82t 4-lug:

80-5505.jpg

That says compressed length is 27 3/8"

XT6 5-lug:

80-5513.jpg

26 5/8"

EJ (I pulled it for a '99 Impreza 2.5RS)

80-5521.jpg

26 7/8"

And on inner wheel seals. These are a press fit into the knuckle, and have to seal against the surface on the CV. Dimensions are from National brand seals

XT6: Shaft Size=2.283", Housing Bore=2.992, Outer Diameter=3.001, Width=0.307in

EJ: Shaft Size=2.205", Housing Bore=2.846, Outer Diameter=2.858, Width=0.315in

As you can see, the XT6 seal will not fit into the EJ knuckle (OD), and the XT6 CV would not seat correctly (shaft size).

If you convince yourself that XT6 axles are your ticket, here's a post I made a couple years ago on the subject, with part numbers for conversion seals.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=836218&postcount=20

thank you Numbchux thats a very good post with a lot of info !! thank you very much.

what i was thinking of doing is getting the xt6 front shafts open them up and mix the knuckle outer joint with one that is off of the impreza/legacy or even try the sti ones to mix the race and cage to make this shorter shaft work.

the shaft on the gl-10 is about 2inch shorter but no race will go on this shaft even trying to mix the race with other race cages. the gl-10 race is just to big !

if i dont find a combo for the front, i know the rear xt6 shafts are shorter as well. so i might order a set of rear and mix the rear up with some fronts to get this working.

i think this STi 6mt sits allot lower in my car do to the tunnel being a little small. when i put on the front cv from say legacy fwd the shafts sit perfect stright out. normal subarus have them on a angle going up to the tranny this might be my problem.

LOL i solved my own problem.

so the oem gl-10 axle (25 spline) are shorter and that's what i need for my swap.

what i did was put legacy 90 94 FWD (25 spline) cv joints on the gl-10 axle to make a perfect fit.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 2:03 PM, idosubaru said:

You're saying the EJ cv joints fit perfectly on the GL-10 axle?
Do you know if they would fit on an XT6 axle shaft?

5mt only ( I think automatic also I forget ) turbo GL-10 front axles are shorter bar with 25 spline, you open them up and take the outer closest to hub off the cup. you find legacy turbo 91 -94 or 5mt version FWD also has them and you can change the cup to fit the spindles or the bar if you need even more length.

you can also get 2004 sti I believe has that 25 spline, and also XT6 5mt front has the larger bar with 25 splines you can use to mix and match what you need !

so to recap

GL-10 shortest bar

XT6 middle length bar

legacy turbo early Subaru has slightly longer bar

new age Subarus long bar or normal age length

the back is also mix and match but but you need to know what years to mix with