Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/c belt squeal

Scan0001.jpg

I have a 92 4wd loyale with the accessory belts pictured above. I recently replaced both belts. At first the squeal went away, but within a day or two the a/c belt started squealing every I would turn on the a/c. In the manual it says that sometimes the loosen up after first install so I re-tightened the belt up. I have since re-tightened it twice, and it still squeals really badly. I tightened it to 8mm (book says 7.5-8.5). Just wondering if it needs to be tightened more, less or if maybe I need to replace the idler pulley. Thanks for any help.

check the belt, it should go fully into the slot in all the pulleys without going too deep in. sometimes they may give you belts that are too wide and they don't sit deep enough. flush is fine, or a little inside the pulley, but no part of the belt should be outside the edge of the pulley.

I've always just got them as tight as I could without trying to prove something.

also check any 3 groove pulleys to make sure your on the right one. sounds basic but some pulleys have extra grooves on the back, and other on the front. seen it a few times.

Id probably just throw some more grunt into it and see if it stops. and don't use any goop or belt dressing, stuff doesn't work for crap and makes a mess.

While the "Standard" Belts are usually known as "A" Belts, Those Subaru EA82 engines run Better with Narrower Belts, usually known as "F" Belts.

Lookin' at this diagram:

EA82withA-CP-S.jpg

That belts' setup for the EA82 engine, is Known as the "In board A/C Compressor" setup, which is for the Hitachi A/C Compresor, also with Power Steering.

(The other Belts' Setup for the EA82 engine, also with A/C and Power Steering is Known as the "Outboard A/C Compressor" which is for the Panasonic A/C compressor.)

Your Subaru has the Same Belts' Setup "In Board A/C compressor" found on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" so, let me Tell you the Belts I successfully run on it:

~► Gates' Nº 7375 for the inner (A/C) Belt:

7375Belt-SameF37.jpg

~► Gates' Nº 7440 for the Outer (Alternator) Belt:

7440Belt-sameF43a.jpg

The 7375 Belt is a Li'l bit Shorter than the recommended for that subaru application, by the Gates' Book; so it will be a little Hard to put in Place, but it lets the Short travel of the belt tensioner, to adjust better.

Please note that the 7375 Belt is almost the Same known as F-37 Belt, while the 7440 is almost the Same known as the F-43 Belt.

7440Belt-sameF43b.jpg

The "F" Belts are Narrower than the "A" Belts, so they completely "Sits" onto the Pulley's Buttom, unlike the "A" Belts which only works on the Pulley's Sidewalls, Making the Noise you heard.

I Hope this Info could Help you.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Mispelled word, fixed.