Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replaced my slave cylinder last week and I'm pretty sure I didn't get all of the air out of the line, but it's still functioning.

I bled it for what seemed like forever, but eventually ran out of brake fluid.

For the last bit I just had my friend pull the clutch off the floor and keep pumping it until it gained some pressure and then just closed the valve.

I can shift, but I'm almost positive there is still air in the line.

Can this cause damage to the slave or master cylinder?

probably, they are notoriously hard to bleed. letting them sit/running them a little seems to help - then bleed again. like is "moves" the air to the valve to bleed or something? GD has some comments on here and has done a few of them, he mentioned he an get it right every time now.

Okay, so how do I know when all the air is out?

Will the clutch always go back to the floor?

Say all the air IS out and I open the bleeder valve, will the clutch still drop to the floor?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've never bled one of these but I've had some fun with bleeding hydraulic clutches that DON'T have a bleeder on the slave cylinder. Remove the slave cylinder, dunk the whole thing (clean it off really well first) into a big bowl full of brake fluid. Gloves recommended for this. Make sure the hose inlet is at the highest point, keep the bleeder valve closed. Squeeze the plunger all the way in and all the way out several times. End with the plunger out so the cylinder is completely full or fluid. If the line is easily removeable from the car, install it onto the slave cylinder while it's still completely submerged.

Now pick up the cylinder, stick the other end of the line into the bowl, squeeze the plunger in to expel all of the air from the line. Release the plunger to fill the line with fluid. Put a cap on the end of the line.

Move the assembly to the car and loosely install the cylinder so the plunger does not get pushed. Remove the cap and thread the line into the master cylinder. Pour fluid into the master cylinder to the bottom of the reservoir. DO NOT FILL the reservoir.

Now install the slave cylinder and tighten it into place. The plunger should depress by a fair amount, and fluid from the slave cylinder should push up into the master cylinder. Top off the reservoir.

This method should require no further bleeding. If the clutch feel is still not right, the master cylinder may be bad.