Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 Sensor wiring location??? Exhaust manifold replacement

1985 Hatchback EA81, 160,000 miles and i'm trying to do the exhaust manifold, the first problem without even really starting is the catalytic that is on there has no o2 hooked up or a place too plug one in, i have my new Exhaust Manifold with the O2 Sensor on the way. but i dont know where i need to wire it too??? Please help, pictures are grand

the old school engines only had a 1 wire O2 sensor.. No real point in even bothering hooking it up.

And the only 85 EA81's that had O2 sensors were the turbos and the feedback carbs. And I dont think they made a turbo hatch in that year (ShawnW will correct me on this one if I'm wrong I'm sure)

Look under your steering column, see if there is a computer bolted to the underside of the column. If there isnt a computer you dont need the 02 sensor. Even with the computer I'd still say leave it unplugged. 1 wire sensors can't really send exhaust mixture data, I think they are more used as an EGT on the single wires.

great NEWS

maybe i can send back the $17 O2 sensor and plug hole with a bolt

If your car never came with an O2 sensor, you can plug it with a oil drain plug from your corner parts store.

One wire sensors sense oxygen content just like a three wire sensor. The three wire sensors have a heating element so they work sooner upon startup, but once warmed up by exhaust gas the one wire ones work just fine.